As the city continues to slowly start getting back to business, we’re profiling some of our favorite areas of Austin. Whether these neighborhood spots are already open OR planning their re-opening, we can’t wait to show them some love!
Now it’s time to talk South South Austin!
This can be a tad confusing for someone who doesn’t live in Austin. South Austin can mean just shy of south of the river, or it can mean actually South Austin. We’re referring to the latter, where there’s tons of family-owned restaurants and bars, great coffee, and more.
It’s food time.
Here’s where we’re headed:
- Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ: 11500 Menchaca Road
- Aviator Pizza & Drafthouse: 6501 South Congress Avenue
- Cafe Malta: 3421 West William Cannon Drive
- Revolution Vegan Kitchen: 7800 South First Street
- Hecho En Mexico: 6001 West William Cannon Drive
When you need a cocktail or beer.
Check out these bars:
- South Austin Beer Garden: 10700 Menchaca Road
- Indian Roller: 10006 Menchaca Road
- Skull Mechanix Brewing: 2, 1005 East Saint Elmo Road
- The Little Darlin’: 6507 Circle S Road
- The Far Out Lounge & Stage: 8504 South Congress Avenue
Get your caffeine fix.
Here’s our list of great coffee shops:
- Austin Java: 5404 Menchaca Road
- Cannon Coffee: 1901 West William Cannon Drive
- Crema Bakery & Cafe: 9001 Brodie Lane
- Stouthaus Coffee Pub: 4715 South Lamar Boulevard
- Captain Quackenbush’s Coffeehouse: 5326 Menchaca Road
Looking for a little gift or something for yourself?
Check out these local boutiques and shops:
- Articulture Design: 6405 Menchaca Road
- Old School Liquor & Market: 1901 West William Cannon Drive
- Bikealot: 5330 Menchacha Road
- Whole Earth Provisions Co.: 4477 South Lamar Boulevard
- Helene Park Chocolates: 6800 West Gate Boulevard
Cruising around South South Austin?
Here are some just plain fun spots to check out:
- Cathedral of Junk: 4422 Lareina Drive
- Sneed House: 1801 Nelms Drive
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center: 4801 La Crosse Avenue
- Mary Moore Searight Metropolitan Park: 907 West Slaughter Lane
- Dittmar District Park: 1009 West Dittmar Road
Featured photo courtesy of @thefaroutaustin on Instagram.