Listen to this post with Alexa!
As the city slowly starts getting back to business, we’re profiling some of our favorite areas of Austin and talking about local spots we can’t wait to visit once they re-open (and we decide it’s safe to venture out).
First up, let’s head down to South Austin!
South Austin definitely still feels like it’s in the center of the city. Though when someplace is referred to as “South Austin” it really just means it’s south of the river. And depending what local you talk to, they’ll refer to the river as either the Colorado River or Lady Bird Lake or even Town Lake. It’s confusing, but know that the river-like reservoir inside of the Colorado River is now called Lady Bird Lake.
Here’s our favorite local spots to fuel up:
- Fresa’s: 1703 South 1st Street
- Bouldin Creek Cafe: 1900 South 1st Street
- Home Slice Pizza: 1415 South Congress Avenue
- Matt’s El Rancho: 2613 South Lamar Boulevard
- Winebelly: 519 West Oltorf Street
Need a nightcap before you head home?
Check out these bars:
- St Elmo Brewing Co: 440 East St Elmo Road
- The Continental Club: 1315 South Congress Avenue
- The Golden Goose: 2034 South Lamar Boulevard
- C-Boy’s Heart & Soul: 2008 South Congress Avenue
- Indian Roller Boutique Roadhouse: 10006 Menchaca Road
South Austin has some of the best coffee spots.
- Spokesman: 440 East St Elmo Road
- Seventh Flag Coffee: 1506 South 1st Street
- Jo’s Coffee: 1300 South Congress Avenue
- Summer Moon Coffee: 3115 South First Street
- Picnik: 1700 South Lamar Boulevard
In need of some new threads?
Shop around at these local spots:
- Allen’s Boots: 1522 South Congress Avenue
- Flashback Vintage: 1906 South 1st Street
- Mana Culture: 2214 South 1st Street
- Rose and Violets Boutique: 9911 Brodie Lane
- Maya Star: 1508 South Congress Avenue
Here are some of our favorite spots in South Austin to explore and take photos:
- Greeting From Austin Mural: 1720 South 1st Street
- Cathedral of Junk: 4422 Lareina Drive
- I Love You So Much Mural: 1300 South Congress Avenue
- Zilker Metropolitan Park: 2100 Barton Springs Road
- Lamar Boulevard Bridge: 110 Lamar Street