Listen to this post with Alexa!
It’s officially summertime in Austin, Texas! The kids are out of school, and it’s the perfect time to explore all of the fun that our city has to offer. Whether you’re looking to beat the heat, embrace the heat, or just stay completely out of the heat, we’ve got a list of the best free and cheap Austin summer activities coming your way.
Here is your ultimate Summer bucket list!
1. Practice perfecting your cannonball at Barton Springs.
2. Splash around at the oldest swimming pool in Texas.
3. Cool off at one of Austin’s beaches.
4. Check out art in public places all around Austin.
5. Go birdwatching at Commons Ford Metropolitan Park.
6. Learn about Texas history at our state capitol.
7. Take a little road-trip to shop ’til you drop at Wimberley Market Days.
8. Spend the day with our extinct friends at Austin’s top dinosaur spots.
9. Plan the perfect picnic.
10. Go hiking at Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve.
12. Catch butterflies at McKinney Falls State Park. Just remember to let them go!
13. Catch the gorgeous views of Mount Bonnell at sunset.
14. Grab a delicious slice of pizza from anywhere in town!
15. Kayak or canoe at one of these 8 beautiful spots!
16. Be amazed by the beauty that is The Cathedral of Junk.
17. Tour all the street art, graffiti, and murals in Austin.
18. Get some exercise at Great Hills Park.
19. Discover all the train, planes, and automobiles in Austin.
20. Stare in wonder at the bats in downtown Austin.
21. Take a trip to the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg.
22. Discover 5 FREE things to do in Round Rock.
23. Hike, swim and look for waterfalls at St. Edward’s Park.
24. Treat yourselves to a donut from the most a-glaze-ing spots in town!
25. Cool down with a scoop or two of ice cream!
26. Journey to the top of the 360 Overlook (Pennybacker Bridge.)
27. Take a trip to the most beautiful town squares near Austin.
29. Take in the sights with a scene stroll.
31. Discover all the summer blooms at Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center.
32. Get lost in a good book at a local bookstore.
33. Take a road trip to Waco and discover all the FREE things to do (that are not Magnolia Market)
34. Discover 5 FREE things to do in Pflugerville.
35. Have a family night out at 10 Austin restaurants that make you feel like you’re on vacation.
36. Explore Pioneer Town in Wimberley.
37. Discover 5 FREE things to do in Cedar Park.
38. Stare in wonder at the beauty that is Central Library. Maybe even check out a book or two after you’re done staring.
39. Find all the castles in Austin.
40. Learn, play and spend the day at the Thinkery.
41. Hit up the best thrift stores in Austin.
42. Go camping with the whole family!
43. Take one of our favorite family-friendly road trips.
44. Grab your cowboy boots and head to the last dane halls left in Texas.
45. Take a field trip to 11 unique Austin landmarks.
46. Go rock climbing at Austin Rock Gym.
47. Create memories while battling it out at Blazer Tag.
48. Grab a meal while the kids enjoy the playground at one of the many restaurants in Austin with playgrounds.
49. Stroll through the gorgeous greenery at Zilker Botanical Gardens ( Try the Woodland Faerie Trail)
50. Check out our ALL FREE calendar for daily events!