Here in Austin, we’re all about tacos. But among our many taco purveyors in town, Torchy’s Tacos undoubtedly ranks among the preeminent local favorites. Founded in 2006 as one humble little trailer parked on South 1st Street, Torchy’s shot to popularity by making such amazing food that they were soon winning major taco contests and earning a coveted status as one of the most-delivered restaurants in Austin. Oh, and did we mention Torchy’s secret menu? Yeah, it’s a thing.
Today, Torchy’s boasts dozens of trucks and restaurants across the state, with numerous locations in the Austin area, with their South Congress flagship location quickly becoming a mainstay on the strip. Their standard taco menu is nothing short of beloved, especially The Democrat (which is our favorite taco in the ATX), but did you know they’ve got a top secret “Sacred” menu to boot? Indeed. Torchy’s secret menu is aptly named: These tacos are “Sacred.”
Austin.com is and always has been a site that celebrates and promotes the unique people and places of Austin, TX and surrounding cities. Though many businesses, locations, and events are closed at this time, we continue to highlight those things so that you can plan to experience them in the future.
In-the-know customers like you can now order off Torchy’s secret menu — if you know the right code words. Which we do, and now you will too.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to order all seven of these bad boys at some point in the very near future and enjoy them immensely:
- JACK OF CLUBS — A fried egg, potatoes, black beans, crisp corn tortilla strips, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.
- ACE OF SPADES — A jalapeno sausage link, grilled brisket, a fried egg, green chile queso, cilantro, cotija cheese, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.
- TRAILER PARK HILLBILLY STYLE — Fried chicken, chorizo, chopped bacon, green chilies, green chile queso, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, and poblano ranch on the side. Served on a flour tortilla.
- MAD COW — Fajita beef, black beans, grilled corn, jack cheese, creamy chipotle, and cilantro. Served on a flour tortilla.
- THE HIPSTER — Panko fried tuna, with green chilies, chopped bacon, black bean relish, cotija cheese, avocado sauce, cilantro, and a wedge of lime. Served on a flour tortilla.
- THE MATADOR — Chopped brisket, grilled jalapenos, pickled onions, jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro. Served with tomatillo on a crisp corn tortilla inside in a flour tortilla.
- GREEN CHILE PORK MISSIONARY STYLE — Green chile pork, pickled onions, guacamole, jack cheese, cilantro, and creamy chipotle. Served on a crisp corn tortilla inside a flour tortilla.
Torchy’s announced its secret menu back in 2013, but it’s probably safe to assume that even a good amount of locals have never tried some of these tacos. If you’re one of the unlucky ones and you know what’s good for you, you’ll rectify the situation — immediately! You’ll feel anything but ill after devouring a Mad Cow taco, and the Trailer Park Hillbilly Style taco is basically guaranteed to ruin you for anything else.
But you didn’t hear it from us. This message will self-destruct in five seconds…
Featured photo: Flickr user butforthesky.com, Creative Commons licensed.