There’s a lot of history surrounding the Austin City Limits TV series. While the venue where the show is currently taped may be less than a decade old, the legacy of the series goes back way beyond that. The original pilot episode of Austin City Limits was recorded in 1974 and featured one of our favorite Austinites, Willie Nelson. Learn more ACL here!
Want to know our favorite thing about the Austin City Limits series? Tapings are FREE! Yep, you read that right.
Here’s How To See A Free Show With Austin City Limits, Otherwise Known As ACL
The PBS TV series is filmed in front of a live studio audience and you can enter into a drawing to attend a taping for FREE. Upcoming Austin City Limits tapings are listed on the ACL TV website. Locals can enter to win a pair of tickets and are notified via email if they have been randomly chosen.
Ticket giveaways are posted about a week before the taping. They also post the link to enter on their Facebook and Twitter account. Pro tip: don’t bother entering more than once. Additional entries from the same people will be thrown out. Two or three days before the show they randomly choose the winners who are notifies via email.
Tip for Attending an ACL Taping
- If you have entered, check your spam folder in the few days leading up to a taping to make sure you didn’t miss a message.
- They do not sell tickets to tapings. That means that anyone claiming to be selling tickets to an ACL taping on Craigslist, Facebook, eBay, etc. is selling counterfeit tickets.
- The passes are space available only, and don’t guarantee admission. It is recommended you arrive 30 to 60 minutes before the taping time.
- Standing may be required at select shows.
- Any cell phone use in the studio during the taping is prohibited.
Any other questions? Check out the full FAQs here.