We love that the LBJ Library is located right in the heart of Austin, Texas! You can discover the history and lives of our 36th U.S. President, Lyndon B. Johnson as well as his wife Lady Bird Johnson.
Here are a few facts about the LBJ Library:
- Construction began on the museum in 1967.
- The Library was dedicated on May 22, 1971, with President Johnson and then-President Richard Nixon in attendance.
- The top floor of the Library has a 7/8ths scale replica of the Oval Office decorated as it was during Johnson’s presidency.
- In 1991 Queen Elizabeth II visited the museum and met with President Johnson’s family.
- In 2016, the museum hosted the Texas premiere and special preview screening of HBO’s All The Way. The film offers a riveting behind-the-scenes look at President Lyndon B. Johnson’s tumultuous first year in office after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Actors Bryan Cranston and Anthony Mackie were in attendance for a discussion about the film.
Though the Library started charging admission after renovations were completed in 2013, there are ways to save some money and even get in FREE!
Admission to explore the museum is half price on Tuesdays and the Library offers eight free admission days. Read on for those dates in 2023. Additionally, there are two days that visitors with admission tickets will receive a free gift: July 2 (in observance of the anniversary of the 1964 Civil Rights Act) and August 6 (in commemoration of the 1965 Voting Rights Act).
Oh, and here’s another fun way to receive free admission. If your first, middle, or last name is Lyndon, you do not have to pay to enter the museum!
Here’s everything else you need to know about the LBJ Library!
Free Admission Days:
- Martin Luther King Day – January 16, 2023
- Presidents Day – February 20, 2023
- Memorial Day – May 29, 2023
- Juneteenth – June 19, 2023
- The Fourth of July – July 4, 2023
- LBJ’s birthday – August 27, 2023
- Austin Museum Day – September 17, 2023
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2023
These Guests Always Receive Free Admission:
- Children 12 and under
- Active duty military (Up to five family members also receive free admission)
- Student groups (including school staff) with reservations
- UT students, faculty, staff, and administrators with valid ID
- Members of Friends of the LBJ Library and Future Forum membership groups
- Members of other Presidential Libraries
- Adults: $13
- Seniors (62 and over) with valid ID: $9
- Retired military with valid ID: $7
- Children 13-17: $4
- College students with valid ID: $4
The Library is open 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The last visitor will be admitted at 4 p.m. They are closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Parking for the LBJ Presidential Library is free in Lot 40 on a first come, first serve basis. There are also paid parking meters along Dean Keeton and Red River Street. Please note that there are several University of Texas permit-only parking lots next to the LBJ Library guest parking, and parking in those permit-only lots may result in fines.
For more information, visit the LBJ Library website.
LBJ Library and Museum
2313 Red River St
Austin, TX 78705
Photos by Nicolette Estrada.