Want to know about this week’s hottest headlines in Austin entertainment? You’ve come to the right place. These are the top five pop culture related stories with ties to the ATX.
Zachary Levi Loves Austin As Much As We Do
In case you aren’t aware, Zachary Levi, star of the upcoming film Shazam and the Amazon series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is a proud Austin area resident. We caught up with the actor at the writer’s retreat Austin Film Festival hosted at New Republic Studios in Elgin. Levi had lots of good things to say about life in Central Texas. You can read more here.
View this post on Instagram
Went out to visit the writer’s retreat at New Republic Studios with Austin Film Fest. The day started with a Q&A featuring actor (and Bastrop resident) Zachary Levi, Writer/ Producer Brad Coolidge and Producer Carl Effenson. Loved hearing each of them share their experience and advice. More info coming soon to both ATXgossip.com and Austin.com
Gary Clark Jr. Rocks the SNL Stage
Hometown fave Gary Clark Jr. appeared on “Saturday Night Live” for the first time last weekend. Following his second performance, the Austin native gave a shout out to his mom, who still lives right here in Austin. He clearly mouthed the words “Hi mom,” as he wrapped up his performance. Read more about Texas ties to “SNL” here.
Bobby Bones Crew Competes in Celebrity Family Feud
Earlier this week on Instagram, the Bobby Bones Show crew shared pictures of their experience taping an episode of “Celebrity Family Feud.” Bobby, Amy, and Lunch Box were joined by country artists Lauren Alaina and Jon Pardi. The gang took on Brooklyn Decker, Andy Roddick, and family. Not sure when it’s going to air, but as soon as we hear, we’ll let you know!
Iron Orchard Released In Select Theaters
When Iron Orchard screened at the Austin Film Festival, it was honored by the audience as the festival’s top Texas Independent Feature. The film, which paints a gritty picture of the 1960s West Texas oil scene, stars Austinites Lane Garrison and Austin Nichols. It opens today in select Texas cities including Dallas, Fort Worth, Midland, and Lubbock. Fans in Austin will have to wait until Friday, March 1, when the film opens at AMC Barton Creek and Regal Arbor theaters. Check out our brief review and interviews with the cast here.
Matthew McConaughey Sings With Snoop Dogg
Matthew McConaughey’s “Carpool Karaoke” episode with Snoop Dogg drops today, Friday, February 22. You can watch it on the Apple TV app. In the preview, the Oscar winner sports a JK Livin shirt, which is the name of his Austin based charitable organization. He also delivers his most famous line. You know the one.
- We’re heading over to the newest Austin immersive art experience Hopscotch later today. The installation runs through March 31 at 6100 Airport Blvd. Keep an eye on our IG feeds for pics and more info.
- The Oscars air this Sunday on ABC. There aren’t a lot of Texas ties this year, though “Friday Night Lights” alum Michael B. Jordan will present. Nominated in the animated feature category, Isle of Dogs is directed by Houston native and UT alum Wes Anderson. The film also made its North American premiere at SXSW in 2018.
- Here’s a chance for you to meet a member of a famous Hollywood family for free right here in Austin. Join the Austin Public Library for a special movie screening of The Public on Sunday, followed by a community conversation featuring Emilio Estevez. The son of Martin Sheen and brother of Charlie, wrote, produced, and directed this new film about homelessness. You can register for free tickets here.
- As we previously told you, Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle brand Goop is opening a pop up shop in Austin on Friday, March 1. We’re getting a sneak peak of the space next week, keep an eye on our IG accounts for a first look.
- And, ICYMI, check out the trailer for the Becoming Leslie film premiering at SXSW. If you’re a raging ball of emotions like I am, you’ll want to grab some tissues.
Featured photo courtesy of Bobby Bones, Brooklyn Decker and The Bobby Bones Show on Instagram.