Here in Austin, we’re all about tacos. We love stuffing our faces with migas tacos at Veracruz, bahn mi tacos at The Peached Tortilla, and Padre tacos at Mellizoz, to name just a few. The carnitas tacos at La Flor make us weak in the knees, and if we even think about Rosita’s al pastor, we’ll start drooling.
But among our many taco purveyors in town, Torchy’s Tacos undoubtedly ranks among the preeminent local favorites. Founded in 2006 as one humble little trailer parked on South 1st St., Torchy’s now boasts thirty trucks and restaurants across the state, including a whopping 12 locations throughout the greater Austin area. Their standard taco menu is nothing short of beloved, but did you know they’ve got a top secret “Sacred” menu to boot?
Get Our Posts Delivered Every Friday
Let us show you the best of Austin, Texas. No spam, we promise!
Alright, alright, alright!
Indeed. In-the-know customers like you can now order top secret deliciousness from Torchy’s — if you know the right code words. Which we do. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to order all seven of these bad boys at some point in the very near future and enjoy them immensely:
- JACK OF CLUBS – A fried egg, potatoes, black beans, crisp corn tortilla strips, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.
- ACE OF SPADES — A jalapeno sausage link, grilled brisket, a fried egg, green chile queso, cilantro, cotija cheese, sour cream, and diablo. Served on a flour tortilla.
- TRAILER PARK HILLBILLY STYLE – Fried chicken, chorizo, chopped bacon, green chilies, green chile queso, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, and poblano ranch on the side. Served on a flour tortilla.
- MAD COW — Fajita beef, black beans, grilled corn, jack cheese, creamy chipotle, and cilantro. Served on a flour tortilla.
- THE HIPSTER — Panko fried tuna, with green chilies, chopped bacon, black bean relish, cotija cheese, avocado sauce, cilantro, and a wedge of lime. Served on a flour tortilla.
- THE MADATOR — Chopped brisket, grilled jalapenos, pickled onions, jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro. Served with tomatillo on a crisp corn tortilla inside in a flour tortilla.
- GREEN CHILE PORK MISSIONARY STYLE — Green chile pork, pickled onions, guacamole, jack cheese, cilantro, and creamy chipotle. Served on a crisp corn tortilla inside a flour tortilla.
Torchy’s announced its secret menu back in 2013, but it’s probably safe to assume that even a good amount of locals have never tried some of these tacos. If you’re one of the unlucky ones and you know what’s good for you, you’ll rectify the situation — immediately! You’ll feel anything but ill after devouring a Mad Cow taco, and the Trailer Park Hillbilly Style taco is basically guaranteed to ruin you for anything else.
But you didn’t hear it from us. This message will self-destruct in five seconds…
Featured photo: Flickr user butforthesky.com, CC licensed.