Listen to this post with Alexa!
Director Ruben Fleischer and Actor Jesse Eisenberg Premiere Zombieland: Double Tap in Austin
Actor Jesse Eisenberg and Director Ruben Fleischer hosted the very first public screening for Zombieland: Double Tap in Austin this week. The original film debuted in Austin, as well, as part of Fantastic Fest in 2009.
Following the Alamo Drafthouse screening, an audience member asked why they like screening movies in Austin.
“I didn’t know too much about Austin until we came here for the first movie. I heard it was like the cool city in Texas but I didn’t know too much about it culturally,” Eisenberg said. “It was so special and Ruben and I both had a very special feeling about Austin… You guys appreciate the things that the people who make the movies appreciate: like inside references to things, specific cultural things, humor that’s offbeat and fun. All the stuff that we like about the movie are the things that we know Austin would like about the movie.”
And That’s a Wrap on ACL
Another year of ACL has come and gone and we experienced all kinds of ATX-centric things at this year’s festival (which you can read about here). As usual, we spotted a few famous faces in the crowds. Taylor Kitsch was seen posing with fans on the final day of the festival. Adrian Grenier attended weekend one, as did Jared Padalecki. But it was Matthew McConaughey who was spotted most often, catching sets by GNR, Billie Eilish, The Cure, Gary Clark Jr., The Raconteurs (where he was hanging with Lars Ulrich), and Sunday night’s final show from Mumford & Sons. Though we didn’t spot Camila McConaughey during the festival, we did come across this video she posted after the festival concluded. Looking good, Camila!
Common Comes to Texas State
Common took part in the LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series at Texas State on Tuesday. The Grammy, Emmy, and Oscar winner told the sold-out crowd, “When we talk about your truth and your purpose… the only way we’re going to get there is self love.”
Terminator Mural Catches Attention of Arnold Schwarzenegger
To celebrate the upcoming Terminator film Terminator: Dark Fate (which co-stars Austinite Gabriel Luna), Paramount commissioned a mural by local artist Mike Johnston at the Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter. After completion, Johnston posted the mural on his Instagram feed which The Arnold later added to his IG story.
Tenacious D Rocks ACL Live
Jack Black and his trusty sidekick Kyle Gass returned to Austin on Thursday to play “The Greatest Song In The World,” among other tunes, at ACL Live. The duo was last in Austin for Fantastic Fest 2018 where they screened their animated Youtube series “Post Apocalypto.”
- Stassi Schroeder of “Vanderpump Rules” fame makes an appearance at the Paramount tonight.
- Dwight Yoakam performs at Nutty Brown Cafe on Saturday, October 18.
- On Sunday, October 20, Alamo Drafthouse, Rolling Roadshow, and the Austin Food & Wine Alliance present a once-in-a-lifetime cast reunion and outdoor screening of the cult classic The Sandlot, with Tom “Smalls” Guiry, Patrick “Ham” Renna, and Chauncey “Squints” Leopardi scheduled to attend.
- Best-known for portraying Ash Williams in Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead franchise, Bruce Campbell will be at the Paramount on Wednesday, October 23.
- The Texas Conference For Women once again brings some powerful and empowering women to town for their annual event. This year’s guests include author Elizabeth Gilbert, World Cup Champ Megan Rapinoe, actress Tracee Ellis Ross, and more. The sold out event is happening in Austin on October 23 and 24.
For more entertainment news, check out ATXgossip.com.
Featured photo by Dani Dudek/ ATXgossip.