- Metamorphosis Dance Academy: Ballet Under the Stars – Friday, May 29 and
Saturday, May 30at 8 p.m. Bring a picnic and blanket to enjoy an evening of dance featuring neo-Classical ballet, innovative modern, heartfelt contemporary, and entertaining Broadway-style jazz. FREE but donations are suggested. Bring $5 to park in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin. Update: Saturday’s performance has been postponed until Sunday, May 31 at 8, due to the weather. Check Facebook for further updates.
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) – Friday, May 29 and Saturday, May 30 at 8 p.m. Oh Dragon Theatre Company presents a hilarious, fast-paced romp through the Bard’s extensive playbook. Three madcap individuals weave their wacky way through all of Shakespeare’s comedies, histories, and tragedies in one wild evening that will leave you rolling with laughter. Seating will start at 7:30 p.m. and is first come, first serve. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs and pack a picnic dinner. Oh Dragon rates their performance PG-13. FREE but donations are appreciated. Pan Am Hillside Stage at AB Cantu Rec Center, 2100 E 3rd St, Austin. Update: Saturday’s performance has been moved inside the Rec Center.
- Camp Fire Nature Celebration – Saturday, May 30 from 9-11 a.m. Camp Fire is hosting this family-friendly, FREE event, geared towards kids ages 5-12, focused on outdoor and STEM-based activities. There will be five stations, each representing different summer camp themes. Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Alamo Kids Club: Return to Oz – Saturday, May 30 at 11:30 a.m. Kids age 3 and up (and their adults) are invited to attend this screening. This movie has some scenes that may be frightening to young viewers. Seats can be reserved for a $1 donation. All remaining seats will be given away for FREE on a first come, first serve basis, at the venue the day of the show. Alamo South Lamar, 1120 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Austin Public Library Summer Reading Program Kick-Off Party – Saturday, May 30 at 1 p.m. Get the summer started off right with a Summer Reading Program celebration! Enjoy an African Safari performance by Elizabeth Kahura at 1 p.m., followed by crafts and activities. At 3 p.m., the Linder Elementary Mariachi group will perform. FREE! Ruiz Branch, 1600 Grove Blvd., Austin.
- All Saints’ Family Movie Night: Paddington – Saturday, May 30 at 6 p.m. Join All Saints for their inaugural parish movie night. Bring a picnic for your family to eat on the church lawn and then watch a movie in Kinsolving Parish Hall. Nursery will be available for ages 3 and under, if you contact Jane Shaughness in advance at [email protected] or (512) 458-2952. Popcorn and lemonade will be provided. Feel free to wear your pajamas! FREE! All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 209 W 27th St, Austin.
Movie in Tarrytown Park: Big Hero 6 – Saturday, May 30 at 6:30 p.m. The fun begins with Gaga Ball, Ping Pong, Face Painting and good old neighborhood fun! Bring a blanket and your beverages of choice. P. Terry’s and Jim Jims will be available for purchase. The movie Big Hero 6 will start at dark. FREE! If it is actively raining, the movie will be postponed. Tarrytown Park, 2106 Tower Drive, Austin.Update: This event has been postponed.
- The Art Garage’s 4th Birthday Party – Sunday, May 31 from 2-4 p.m. Enjoy FREE spin art and crafts in the studio, FREE popsicles from Chloe’s, and FREE Thirsty Planet refreshments (for parents and artists over 21). Take advantage of discounts on in-studio art projects, and possibly win an awesome door prize! The Art Garage, 11190 Circle Drive, Suite 202-4, Austin.
- Music Under the Star – Sunday, May 31 from 4-7:30 p.m. Bring your family, a picnic dinner, and a blanket or chairs to enjoy FREE live music from Corkey Robinson, The Damn Torpedoes, and Mundi. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Ave., Austin.
- Austin Symphony Concert in the Park – Sunday, May 31 at 7:30 p.m. Bring chairs and a picnic to enjoy a FREE performance by the Strings ensemble of The Austin Symphony. Hartman Concert Park at The Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
- Fairytale Threads Consignment Event – Friday, May 29 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, May 30 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Find excellent deals on new and gently loved clothes for children of all ages and stages, from newborns to kids’ size 16, as well as books, gear and toys for kids, babies and toddlers; maternity clothes for mama; and more. Admission is FREE! Austin Sports Center, 425 Woodward St, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Georgetown Festival of the Arts (Georgetown) – Friday, May 29 – Sunday, May 31. The Festival will offer a FREE movie screening of Song of Love at the City Lights Theatre at 2 p.m. on Friday, and a free concert and fireworks show in San Gabriel Park at 8 p.m. on Saturday. For the complete schedule, and for weather updates, please visit the website. Various locations, Georgetown.
- Movie at the Pool: Big Hero 6 (Round Rock) – Friday, May 29 from 6-11 p.m. Kick off the summer right at Cat Hollow Park and Pool. FREE pool entrance, pizza, cookies, lemonade, games, aquatics showcase, live music, and the first Movie in the Pool showing of 2015, Big Hero 6, at 8:30 p.m. The Blue Dog Band will perform near the Cat Hollow Pavilion. Hot dogs, hamburgers, and drinks will be available for purchase. This evet is weather permitting. Cat Hollow Park, 8600 O’Connor Dr, Round Rock.
- Movies in the Park: Boxtrolls (Leander) – Friday, May 29 at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions will be available for purchase. Rated PG. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
Saturday Night Concert Series Featuring Whiskey Shivers (Bee Cave) – Saturday, May 30 from 7-9 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters! Check Facebook for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.Update: This event has been canceled due to the weather.
You may also be interested in: