Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun:
- Movie Mondays at Amy’s – Monday, August 18 at 8:30 p.m. This is the back to school finale double-feature with showings of Monsters Inc. and Monsters University. First movie starts around dusk. Rated G. FREE! Amy’s Ice Creams, 5624 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- TEXplorations Family Storytime – Tuesday, August 19 at 11:00 a.m. Where will your imagination take you? At Family Story Time, 2-6 year olds will enjoy an experience just for them with hands-on activities, stories, songs, games, and more. This week, they’ll find out what life is like on a ranch and on the range. Storytime is FREE, but regular admission applies if you would like to visit the exhibits. Second Floor Lobby, Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N Congress Ave, Austin.
- Dinner and a Movie in the Plaza (Round Rock) – Wednesday, August 20 at 6:00 p.m. Movies in the Plaza returns with the classic Alice in Wonderland (1951) at 8:30 p.m. Music by Back 9 Band begins at 6 p.m. Scarlet Rabbit will be onsite selling refreshments. Rated G. FREE! Centennial Plaza, 301 W Bagdad Ave, Round Rock.
- Sound and Cinema – Wednesday, August 20 at 7:30 p.m. The Octopus Project will perform a tribute to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, followed by the film screening on The Alamo’s giant inflatable outdoor screen. Folding chairs and blankets are encouraged. Picnics are allowed, but no outside alcohol may be brought onto the Long Center grounds. The food trailers will be open by 6 p.m. and the sunset concerts will begin at 7:30 p.m. The movie will immediately follow (after dark). Rated PG. FREE! The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Third Thursday at The Blanton – Thursday, August 21 from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. In addition to offering free admission, The Blanton is open late and offers a variety of activities from yoga to live music. Find the complete schedule of events here. FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin.
For a list of 60 family friendly activities happening around town this week, check out What’s Up? Weekly!