The festival is a blast for people of all ages, from the kids to the neighbors, the teens to the baby-boomers, the dogs, and everybody in between! With contests and prizes for ice cream-eating, pop-sickle-stick sculpture, and even homemade ice cream making, this festival has something for everyone. So, you should definitely go! But, if you are reading this sometime after 2016’s happening and the annual festival is still a way’s off, don’t worry — this info is all still valid, and it’s never too late to start your training.
Austin.com is and always has been a site that celebrates and promotes the unique people and places of Austin, TX and surrounding cities. Though many businesses, locations, and events are closed at this time, we continue to highlight those things so that you can plan to experience them in the future.
1. This festival can get VERY DECADENT, because that’s how we roll.
To dive in head-first, try the cheddar-cheese ice-cream sandwich at Qui Austin.
2. Amy’s Ice Creams, both a good place to begin your endurance-trial and a forever fave in the ATX.
3. Stray from the beaten path to check out up-and-comers, like south-Austin’s own Lick: Honest Ice Creams.
We're celebrating #nationalicecream month in more ways than one, y'all. Make your ice cream fancier than ever with dewberry sauce and cone crumbs! We recommend topping some Lemon Lavender scoops for a ridiculously photogenic and quintessentially #Texas #sundae. Available through the month of July! #lickhonesticecreams #austin #sanantonio #summer #icecream #lickyall #fourthofjuly
4. Go the distance with colorful, creative combinations from Swift’s Attic.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Is there anything better on a hot August day than an ice cream sundae? Get your fix with our seasonal dessert feature Easy Like Sundae Morning, with @hausbarfarmsatx duck egg vanilla ice cream, chocolate Earl Grey ice cream, strawberry ice cream, chocolate caramel, hazelnut crunch, and caramelized white chocolate pearls. #eatswiftly #eatlocal #dineatx #beattheheat
5. Beat the heat and prepare for the meet with creamy goodness at Venezia Italian Gelato.
Hit ‘next’ to see the rest.
6. Roll hard with ice-cream sandwiches from Dolce Neve.
7. For your third, and final gelato lap, hit up the patio-bar at Dolce Vita for a palate-cleansing scoop and prosecco.
8. And Vegans, don’t despair! Tasty treats from Austin’s own Sweet Ritual mean you’re still in the game!
9. If you think you’re ready to go pro, it might be time to call the Ben & Jerry’s truck over for some FREE ice cream.
10. Last, but definitely not least, try your luck taking down a full custard in the blazing Sun at Sandy’s.
All your training has lead you here – ready to tackle the 10th Annual Austin Ice Cream Festival! Get out there and show them what you’re made of! Pistachios, Nutella, blackberries and THE INDOMITABLE SPIRIT OF COMPETITION! Now, get out there and show those kids who’s boss!
Featured Image Photo Credit: Andreanna Moya, Flickr Creative Commons