It’s time to go fly a kite! The ABC Kite Fest is back and this year, it’s happening on Saturday for the first time ever! The largest and longest-running festival of its kind, ABC Kite Fest is happening Saturday, April 1, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m at Zilker Park.
Here’s Everything You Need To Know About ABC Kite Fest!
More than 50,000 kites take to the sky at the beloved festival each Spring in Austin. The family friendly festival boasts day-long activities for all ages. Soar into spring and join thousands of Austinites for a free, all-day event filled with kite making, flying, and gazing.
2023 Kite Fest festivities include:
- The Exchange Club Kite Showcase & Contest presented by Wells Fargo, with support from KXAN and CapMetro. This community contest, which is free to enter, includes categories such as “most unusual kite” and “highest-flying kite” and is open to the public from 1 to 4 p.m. Competing in the community contest is open to all and, for the first time ever, participants may enter contest events with handmade or store-bought kites. Registration for the contest begins at 11 a.m. The beloved kite showcase will take place adjacent to the contest all day and feature specialty kites piloted by some of the world’s premier flyers.
- The Kids Club, presented by Texas Children’s. This a day-long activity center featuring free bounce houses and more for children of all ages.
- MossFest, a children’s concert presented by PNC Bank. John “Moss” Pieratt, Jr. ‘s love for music and people were the defining qualities that drove the Pieratt and Jenkins families to stage a concert in honor of Moss’s joyful life. The concert takes place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the center of the Kids Club. The 2023 lineup includes Barton Hills Choir, SaulPaul, Justin Roberts and Mr. Will.
- Pet Zone, presented by Subaru. An off-leash pet playground pop-up in Zilker Park features dog-friendly activities, including a three-ring jump and tunnel run. Rock climbing walls are also available for recreation.
Of course, there will be ample food and drink available for purchase from local vendors like Amy’s Ice Creams, Garbo’s Lobster and Shawarma Point.
And if you’re looking for a more VIP experience, check out the High Flyer Club, presented by Texas Mutual. Tickets to the High Flyer Club offer a VIP hospitality experience including designated parking, bounce houses, catered food options, and more.
Kite Fest Parking Info:
- Onsite parking is available through Pavemint on a prepaid basis. There are alternate off-site parking locations also available through Pavemint.
- Attendees can sign up for a free CapMetro digital Day Pass here until Wednesday, March 29. CapMetro will provide up to 1,000 free passes on a first-come, first-serve basis. Children 18 and under ride free every day.
- Shuttle buses will be available from Tony Burger Center for a $5 fee, lap children ride free. Shuttles will be available from 9:45 with last bus departing the park at 5pm.
Founded as a simple kite contest in 1929 by The Exchange Club of Austin, Austin’s annual kite festival was designed to foster creativity in children. Now it is the country’s longest running festival of its kind, underwritten by ABC Home and Commercial Services and produced by Friends of the ABC Kite Fest, a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
This year’s sponsors include Texas Mutual, PNC Bank, Texas Children’s, Wells Fargo, Austin Subaru, H-E-B, Cap Metro, KXAN and Univision. Proceeds from ABC Kite Fest benefit Communities in Schools of Central Texas, an organization empowering students to stay in school and achieve in life, and the Moss Pieratt Foundation, which honors the life of John “Moss” Pieratt, Jr. and raises funds and awareness to find a cause or cure for the sudden unexplained death in children over the age of 12 months (“SUDC”).