Listen to this post with Alexa!
Over the July 4th weekend, more Central Texans traveled through ABIA than the Austin airport had seen since Memorial Day 2019. Travel is most definitely back! And so is the stress and anxiety that comes along with flying. The Federal Aviation Administration is seeing an increase in disruptions mid-flight and on the tarmac across the country. Though reports of unruly passengers in Austin don’t seem to be on the rise, tension remains high due to long lines at check in and security, flight delays and cancellations, and the continued mask requirement.
So we asked our new wellness contributor Gustavo Padron to share some techniques to help ease your anxiety at the airport.
Here are 5 ways to stay calm when flying this summer!
- First off, give yourself enough time to get to the airport. Traveling can be stressful and running late can add unnecessary stress to your trip. Check the parking availability on the ABIA parking website and follow their Twitter feed for updates on the day of travel.
- Concentrate on your breathing! Take deep breaths when you feel anxious and stressed out. Breathing can help reset your CNS and make you feel more relaxed and at ease. I recommend box breathing or the 4, 7, 8 ratio breathing techniques.
- Be prepared with something to do while you wait. Time can fly by when you’re reading a good book. Download a movie or TV show on your phone. If you have kids, play an I Spy type game to distract everyone from the long wait time or the actual flight itself. Snack are also a good idea, as most airlines are still offering minimal amenities.
- Stay hydrated. Traveling can take a toll on your body so do yourself a favor and drink plenty of water. That will help keep you functioning at an optimal level and avoid feeling sluggish and fatigued.
- Stretch often, especially on long flights. You can do a couple of neck rolls, easy twists, and cow/ cats while in your seat. You can also visit the washroom to get a short walk in. Doing this will keep your body feeling limber and your energy flowing freely.