If you don’t have tickets to see Six The Musical, don’t lose your head, you still have time. The show runs through Sunday, October 8. If there’s one show you don’t want to miss, it’s this one!
Here’s everything you need to know about Six The Musical!
- Though based on the Six wives of Henry VIII, each role was inspired by today’s pop artists. You’ll see hints of Beyonce, JLO, Miley Cyrus, Adele, Rihanna, Ariana Grande, and more. Keep reading for more specifics on this.
- Almost all the of the Six actresses in this production are making their touring debut and there’s not a weak link in the bunch!
- From the beats, to the costumes, to the lights and choreography, the show is more like a concert than a Broadway musical.
- The show is only one act which means there is no intermission. It runs just under 90 minutes.
- The original Six opening night was scheduled for March 13, 2020, the night Broadway theaters shut due to the pandemic. Six reopened in September of 2021 and it was worth the wait!
More info about each wife and their character portrayal:
Catherine of Aragon: Henry VIII’s first wife. She was married to Henry VIII from 1509 to 1523. Their divorce led to the creation of the Church of England. Beyoncé inspired the Catherine of Aragon Six character.
Anne Boleyn: Henry VIII’s second wife. The pair were wed from 1533 to 1536, until Anne Boleyn was beheaded on accusation of incest and adultery. Avril Lavigne inspired the Anne Boleyn Six character.
Jane Seymour: Henry VIII’s third wife. They were only married for one year, but Jane Seymour provided Henry VIII with his first son, Edward. Jane Seymour died in childbirth. Adele inspired the Jane Seymour Six character.
Anna of Cleves: Henry VIII’s fourth wife. Perhaps shockingly, the pair were only married for seven months, from January to July 1940. Rihanna and Nicki Minaj inspired the Anna of Cleves Six character.
Katherine Howard: Henry VIII’s fifth wife. The pair married days after and were wed from July 1540 to February 1542. She was beheaded due to her affairs. Ariana Grande and Britney Spears inspired the Katherine Howard Six character.
Catherine Parr: Henry VIII’s sixth and final wife. The pair were wed on July 12, 1543 and were together until January 28, 1547 when Henry VIII passed away. Alicia Keys inspired the Catherine Parr Six character.
Ranking our faves!
Here are our favorite things about the Six The Musical show in Austin.
- The opening number, “Ex-Wives,” is our ultimate favorite number of the show!
- Gerianne Perez as Catherine of Aragon singing “No Way” ranks as our second favorite.
- Amina Faye as Jane Seymour singing “Heart of Stone” ranks third.
- Our fourth favorite thing is Zan Berube as Anne Boleyn. We love her in every way, in every song.
- Terica Marie as Anna of Cleves singing “Get Down” is so incredibly fun and ranks as our fifth favorite thing!
While the other two actresses were enjoyable as well, their songs simply weren’t as entertaining. Regardless of that, the entire show is great and you should not miss it!
How to see Six The Musical.
Who: Texas Performing Arts presents Broadway in Austin
When: October 3 through 8, 2023
Where: Bass Concert Hall | 2350 Robert Dedman Drive
How: Tickets start at $40 and are available here.