Want to know about this week’s hottest headlines in Austin entertainment? You’ve come to the right place. These are the top five pop culture related stories with ties to the ATX.
Emilio Esteves Makes Appearance at Austin Central Library
Emilio Esteves joined the Austin Central Library for a special screening of The Public on Sunday, followed by a community conversation. The son of Martin Sheen and brother of Charlie, wrote, produced, and directed this new film about homelessness.
View this post on Instagram
Thank you to everyone who came to the Central Library today and watched a special screening of @thepublicfilm and to the fabulous Emilio Estevez and all of our wonderful panelists and moderator @qculpepper There was excellent dialogue about homelessness in the Austin community and the role cities and its leaders and residents play. The film’s release date is April 5: go watch it! #thepublicmovie #emilioestevez #austinpubliclibrary #homelessness #homelessness
Michelle Obama Inspires Austin Audience
Rachael Ray moderated an intimate conversation with Michelle Obama at the Erwin Center on Thursday. We weren’t there, but it sounds like it was an incredibly inspiring evening.
The Austin Music Awards Rock On
After Alejandro Escovedo accepted the Townes Van Zandt Songwriter Award at the Austin Music Awards on Wednesday, he took to the stage with special guest Jakob Dylan, alongside Charlie Sexton and Ryan Bingham. Bingham was a last minute addition to the roster and only played one song which left us a bit disappointed. However, it was an entertaining night overall, with additional performances by Suzanne Vega, Black Pumas, Rosie Flores, Tomar Williams, Abhi the Nomad, and a tribute to the late MC Overlord.
Matthew McConaughey Honored With Texas Medal of the Arts
Matthew McConaughey received a Texas Medal of the Arts on Wednesday. The Oscar winning actor made it a family affair by bringing along his wife Camila Alves, mom Kay, as well as his three children. Since 2001, the awards have recognized more than 100 Texas leaders and luminaries who have achieved greatness through their creative talents. McConaughey was awarded the medal for his achievement in film.
View this post on Instagram
Congratulations to Matthew McConaughey for his 2019 Texas Medal Of Arts award. Camila Alves, Matthew McConaughey, Kay McConaughey, Livingston, Levi & Vida Alves McConaughey. Long Center, Austin, TX. 02/27/19. #camilaalves #matthewmcconaughey #texasmedalofarts #dianevonfurstenberg #longcenter #actor #texas #austin
Goop Mrkt Now Open In Austin
Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle brand Goop has arrived in Austin. The Goop Mrkt is located at 1204 S. Congress Ave. and will be hosting a variety of events through April 28.
- Looking for something different to do this weekend? Check out Austin’s newest immersive art experience Let’s Hopscotch. The installation runs through March 31 at 6100 Airport Blvd. You can see pics of our visit here.
- The film Iron Orchard, starring Austinites Lane Garrison and Austin Nichols, opens today at AMC Barton Creek and Regal Arbor theaters. Check out our brief review and interviews with the cast here.
- Austin-based yoga studio YOGA & GOGA will be highlighted on this weekend’s episode of “Shark Tank.” Co-founders Rachael Phillips and Trey Kitchen will host a celebration of their appearance on the show at their studio in Hill Country Galleria on Sunday starting at 3 p.m. The event features a free yoga class, cocktail hour, and episode viewing. Guests interested in attending must RSVP via Eventbrite, and registration will close once max capacity is reached.
- A special screening of “Roswell, New Mexico” is coming to Austin ahead of SXSW! Showrunner Carina Adly MacKenzie will be there for a Q&A following the screening. Get more info now at ATXgossip.com.
- The madness of SXSW begins unofficially on Thursday night with the Texas Film Awards, but the actual fest starts on Friday, March 8. Though the Bleed for the Throne “Game of Thrones” activation starts on Wednesday, and it looks to be one of the most popular SXSW related events,
Featured photo by Dani Dudek/ ATXgossip.com