Bright Horizons, an early education and preschool center, is coming to Bee Cave in early 2015. In celebration of their new home, Bright Horizons at Bee Cave has partnered with Free Fun in Austin to share 5 Free Things to do in Bee Cave!
Nestled in the rustic hill country and home of lots of fabulous shopping, Bee Cave is also a great place for spending time with your family. Here are 5 ideas for free family fun on the Western-most point of the earth:
1. Hill Country Galleria Interactive Fountain – Kids love to get soaked in this splash pad located behind City Hall in the middle of the Galleria shopping mall. Amy’s Ice Creams is just across the lawn; so you can enjoy a scoop at a table nearby while you watch your kids play.
2. Sculpture Park – Behind the Bee Cave Police station you’ll find a quiet couple of acres filled with interesting statues and other pieces of art. Several of the sculptures beg to be climbed on by active kids. It’s a relatively new and expanding place; it will be fun to see what new things come to the park in the upcoming years.
3. Bee Cave Library – This library is operated independently from Austin’s public library system and has a real personal charm. I’ve found that the children’s section is well-organized and well-stocked. The librarians are very friendly and attentive, and there’s and abundance of summer programming for kids. Find a calendar of events here.
4. Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park – While not technically within Bee Cave city limits, this park is not far and worth the quick jaunt to get there. It is picturesquely located on a long stretch of the Colorado River, with boat piers, fishing, picnic tables and volleyball courts. Bring your dogs – they’ll love the big open grassy space next to the water. There are also 3 miles of hiking trails, leading through woods and beside streams.
5. Bee Cave Central Park – This is THE place to go for fun playground play in Bee Cave. There are multiple playsets on the grounds, some of them shaded. One of the areas is for musical interpretation with tube drums and pipe vibes. The walking trails are paved and pleasant. There are multiple basketball courts, and last-but-not-least…nice restrooms!
Bright Horizons at Bee Cave will offer Infant, Toddler, Twos, Preschool and Kindergarten Prep programs in addition to summer camp and holiday care for school age children. The center’s features include a Movement Matters Zone complete with rock climbing wall and ballet bar, Art Studio, large outdoor playgrounds, 21st century technology with a SMART Board and touch screen computers, high-quality curriculum and more. The center will offer full- and part-time child care as well as drop-in/back-up care on a space available basis. Bright Horizons at Bee Cave will be located at 14058 Bee Cave Parkway and will be open from 6:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. on Monday – Friday, year round. For more information call 512-263-9017 or visit the Bright Horizons at Bee Cave website.
About the author: Katey writes about activities for families and children at Having Fun at Home. You may also enjoy posts Katey has written about exploring the Barton Creek Greenbelt, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Longview Park, Austin’s Superlative Landmarks, the Elisabet Ney Museum, and Oakwood Cemetery. She has also written about taking kids to explore fun local stores like Callahan’s, The Natural Gardener, Nature’s Treasures, Zookeeper, and the Asian Supermarket.