Thanks to OurPact for partnering with us on this post. OurPact is an iPhone parental control which gives parents the power to unplug their kids from devices by blocking both Internet and apps. To ensure your kids are spending their time wisely, you can choose to either limit screen time at-a-touch or schedule device use, according to your child’s daily routine. You can download OurPact today free from the App Store or learn more at www.OurPact.com.
As we near the home stretch to summer, the long Memorial Day weekend offers a perfect opportunity to recharge and refresh before the final few weeks of school. This weekend is chock-full opportunities to get out of the house. Here are 25 FREE (or nearly free) things to do in Austin this weekend.
25 Things to do in Austin This Memorial Day Weekend:
- Brush up on your WWII history at Camp Mabry’s Close Assault 1944 exhibition.
- Take a trip down the rabbit hole at the Harry Ransom Center’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland exhibit.
- Laugh along with Steve the improvising poodle during his interactive, all-ages comedy show.
- Rock out with Two Tons of Steel at the Hill Country Galleria.
- Pack a picnic dinner and catch Austin Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew under the stars at Zilker Hillside Theater.
- Enjoy live, local music on the patio at Central Market North or Central Market Westgate.
- Craft a Memorial Day Flag at Lakeshore Learning.
- Make your very own bat wings and listen to stories about our winged, bug eating, nocturnal friends at Batty for BookKids storytime.
- Sip a cup of joe while the kids jam along with Mr. Will Dupuy at Cherrywood Coffeehouse.
- Put on your dancing shoes and head down to the Capitol for National Tap Dance Day.
- Take the kids to the Mexic-Arte Museum, which is free every Sunday.
- Head to Torchy’s Mueller for some free grub and action sports fun during the “World of X Games” Preview Filming Event.
- Get your groove on with Beto Y Los Fairlanes, Javier Chaparro & Salud, and Aaron Lack at the Planet K Free Concert Series.
- Celebrate President Johnson’s wish for the LBJ Library to “be available to all” with free admission on Memorial Day.
- Honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service for our country during the Memorial Day Service at Texas State Cemetery.
- Join A Cappella Texas at the Capitol for patriotic and inspiring tunes offered in honor of our armed forces.
- Go for a dig in the Dino Pit at the Austin Nature & Science Center.
- Beat the heat at one of the City of Austin’s municipal pools. $1-$3 per person. (Note: The city’s free neighborhood pools won’t open until early June. Also, Barton Springs Pool is currently closed due to flooding. Call the hotline at 512-867-3080 for updates.)
- Explore The Woodland Faerie Trail at Zilker Botanical Garden before the faeries fly to cooler climes on Tuesday. $1-$3 per person.
- Cool off at a splash pad.
- Grab some fresh air and produce at a farmers market.
- Embark on a street art scavenger hunt.
- Climb to the top of Mt. Bonnell before it gets any hotter. Make a day of it by visiting the peacocks at Mayfield Park.
- Stroll and window shop along South Congress.
- Take a hike.
Bonus Out of Town Celebrations:
- March in remembrance of those who gave their lives in service to our country, or just enjoy kid-friendly activities and demonstrations, at Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet.
- Celebrate the Grand Opening of Veterans Park and the dedication of the Veterans Monument in Round Rock.
- Attend the annual Memorial Day Ceremony in Georgetown.
- Pay your respects at the Hays County Veterans Memorial Ceremony in San Marcos.