- East Austin Studio Tour (E.A.S.T.) – Saturday, November 15 and Sunday, November 16, from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. EAST is a massive FREE show-and-tell for creatives, taking place this weekend and next. This self-guided art show features over 400 stops in East Austin. Unlike seeing a traditional art show in a museum, many EAST stops allow you to get an insider’s look into the creative process and materials used to create all types of works of art. Visit the website for information on participating artists and studios, exhibitions, and happenings. For the scoop on how to enjoy EAST with kids in tow, head over here. East of IH-35, west of 183, south of 290, and north of Lady Bird Lake, Austin.
- little e.a.s.t. – Saturday, November 15, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. See a collaborative art exhibit, be a part of art in the garden and listen to family-friendly music performed by students and the Groundwork Music Project. FREE! Blackshear Elementary Fine Arts Academy, 1712 E. 11th St., Austin.
- Acton Academy North Children’s Business Fair (Round Rock) – Saturday, November 15, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. The one-day Business Fair is a culmination of ideas and hard work from great young minds. Kids develop a brand, create a product or service, build a marketing strategy, and then open for customers at this one-day marketplace. Admission is FREE. Acton Academy North, 22A Chisholm Trail, Round Rock.
- R. L. Stine Speaking and Signing – Saturday, November 15, from 12-2 p.m. Be afraid. Be very afraid. R. L. Stine, master of terror for readers old and young, is coming to BookPeople with the first new book in his legendary Fear Street series in almost two decades. The speaking portion of this event is FREE and open to the public. Tickets are required for the signing and only available with the purchase of a copy of Party Games from BookPeople. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Center for Creative Action Grand Opening – Saturday, November 15, from 1-4 p.m. Celebrate the grand opening of the Center for Creative Action with activities for all ages! Create a work of art, join in on the drums, act out a character in the photo booth, watch student films, or learn a new craft! FREE snacks and drinks for kids, teens, and adults. This event is FREE and open to the public. Center for Creative Action, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg B, Austin.
- Starlight Symphony Orchestra (Kyle) – Saturday, November 15 at 7 p.m. Enjoy a small ensemble performance of tranquil musical scores. FREE! Hays Performing Arts Center, 979 Kohler’s Krossing, Kyle.
- Free Shows for Kids:
- Jungle Jill and the Jaybirds – Saturday, November 15 at 10 a.m. FREE show for kids! Environmentally social learning and sing-along songs! Strange Brew, Lounge Side, 5326 Manchaca Road, Austin.
- Staci Gray – Sunday, November 16 at 10 a.m. See children’s performer Staci Gray! FREE! (While in the neighborhood, visit nearby EAST participants.) Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 East 38th 1/2 Street, Austin.
- Nick & Amber Radio Show – Saturday, November 15 at 11 a.m. FREE tickets are available online for this interactive radio show for kids, performed live onstage by a brother-sister duo! Scottish Rite Theater, 207 W 18th St, Austin.
- ImprovEd Shakespeare Presents Henry IV (Part 1) – Sunday, November 16 at 5 p.m. Frustrated with your parents? So was Prince Harry. Only his dad was the king. Join a troupe of youth players as they share the story of Henry before he became Henry V. Filled with breathless stage fights, clown-like antics and one irate kid. A perfect introduction to Shakespeare. FREE! Boyd Vance Theater, George Washington Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Pfall Pfest Craft Show (Pflugerville) – Saturday, November 15, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. It’s the best place in town to start your holiday shopping! Handcrafted items, baked goods, jewelry and glassware are just a few of the unique gift items to choose from. Food is available for purchase and proceeds benefit Senior Activity programs. Admission is FREE. Pflugerville Rec Center, 400 Immanuel Rd, Pflugerville.
- MamaCents Children’s Consignment Sale – Saturday, November 15, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Find maternity clothes, newborn to size youth 16 clothing, boutique clothing, top brands, strollers, gear, toys, books, and shoes! You can also find toys. Admission is FREE! Frank Fickett Center, 12500 N IH 35, Austin.
- Artreach Fair Trade Gift Fair – Saturday, November 15, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Artreach Fair Trade Gift Fair is a fun, family-friendly international holiday bazaar where you can find beautifully handcrafted toys, jewelry, coffee, and bags to give to everyone on your list. At the same time, you will give opportunity, encouragement and joy to hardworking artisans throughout the world. Admission is FREE! Westover Hills Church, 8332 Mesa Dr., Austin.
- Sweetness Bakery Grand Opening – Saturday, November 15, from 1-4 p.m. Enjoy complimentary refreshments, mini cupcakes, and tours of the bakery. Children 12 and under can decorate their own cupcake with a variety of sweet toppings. FREE! Sweetness Bakery, 3742 Far West Blvd, Ste 106, Austin.
- La Patisserie’s 4th Anniversary – Saturday, November 15, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. As a thank you to customers, the bakery will be offering complimentary sweet treats like mini macarons, ginger cookies, and apple walnut croissants along with hot apple cider to all that visit on Saturday. FREE! La Patisserie, 602 W. Annie Street, Austin.
Bonus budget-friendly fun:
- Kidgits Club Holiday Celebration (Cedar Park) – Saturday, November 15, from 8-10 a.m. Santa Claus is coming to Lakeline Mall! Children are invited to officially welcome jolly Ol’ Saint Nick and his elves during the Kidgits Club Holiday Celebration. The morning of festivities will feature family-friendly holiday crafts and a special story read by Father Christmas himself. After meeting everyone on the nice list, Santa will return to his throne in Winter Wonderland, where he will continue to pose for photos and listen to holiday wishes through Christmas Eve. FREE for Kidgits Club members ($5 for annual membership). Lakeline Mall, 11200 Lakeline Mall Dr, Cedar Park.
- Fossil Fest (Round Rock) – Saturday, November 15 and Sunday, November 16, from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Learn about the fossils in your backyard! The Paleontological Society of Austin is sponsoring the 24th Annual Fossil Fest at Old Settlers Association Headquarters in Round Rock. Admission to Fossil Fest is $3 for adults, $2 for students, and FREE for children under 6. Tickets may be purchased at the door on the day of event. Cash only. Old Settlers Association Headquarters, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd. (intersection of Hwy. 79 & Harrell Pkwy., next to the Dell Diamond), Round Rock.
- Japanese Fall Festival – Saturday, November 15, from 12-4 p.m. Take in an afternoon of Taiko drums, Japanese traditional and festive dance, traditional musical instruments, the beauty of the Chanoyu ceremony, Japanese martial arts, and Okinawan traditional dance! Visitors will enjoy a range of Japanese food and sweets, art and Japanese goods, a Yukata booth, calligraphy, hands-on origami, Japanese games and entertainment. FREE for children under 18; $5 for non-members. O. Henry Middle School, 2610 W 10th St, Austin.
- Frozen Party on Ice – Sunday, November 16, from 1-4 p.m. Back by popular demand, Chaparral Ice is hosting another Frozen-themed public session, presented this time by Stars Austin Fsc! This event features performances by Olaf and Elsa, meet and greets with the Frozen characters (bring your own camera–photos available for a $2 donation), treats, and free frozen yogurt coupons, while supplies last. Arrive early… this event will be a huge hit, and there are only so many rental skates available! The event is FREE for anyone who would like to attend to view the skating exhibitions. Guests who would like to skate will need to pay regular admission prices ($6 for ages 6+ plus $4 skate rental, or $5 for ages 5 and under including rental). Chaparral Ice, Northcross Mall, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
- 2014 Santa Sightings in Austin, Texas
- Free Fun in Austin: Date Night Edition (November 13-16)
- Taking the Family to the 2014 East Austin Studio Tour (EAST)
- Camping at Pedernales Falls State Park
- … and lots more on our Free Fun Calendar!
Don’t forget to enter our giveaways: