- Free Day of Dance – Saturday, all day. There will be more than 180 dance classes offered all over the Austin area: Country, Swing, Salsa, Ballroom, Tango, and more. How many styles of dance will you try? Classes offered for all levels. No partner needed. View the full schedule here. FREE! Various locations.
- Maker Space Mania – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. This event will show families how to make useful literacy tools from recycled and upcycled materials. Families, faculty, and the community are invited to attend this fun reading event that helps inspire children to become lifelong readers. MakerSpace Madness will feature fair-style booths with a guide providing instructions on making take-away reading resources. Storytime read alouds featuring maker stories will be presented in the last hour of the program. Makers can learn to make books, bookmarks, and book art, plus every child will take home a FREE book. There will be light snacks and raffles for attendees. FREE! Lanier High School, 1201 Payton Gin Rd, Austin.
- Clear Your Clutter Day – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Celebrate Get Organized Month in January by clearing your clutter. Event partners will accept everything from textiles and books to appliances and electronics. View full list of accepted items here. FREE! Bethany United Methodist Church, 10010 Anderson Mill Rd, Austin.
- The Austin Moms Expo and Ultimate Play Date – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Being a mom is a special bond shared between women. This trade show is designed to bring moms together and to motivate, inspire, nurture, and reward women of young families. It will feature exhibitors with special interest items particularly for women, moms of young children, and kids from newborns to school age, with educational content, demonstrations, play zones, music, entertainment and more. Attend this show to get answers, seek guidance, and find options that meet your family needs no matter which stage of motherhood you are in. Admission is $5 per person ages 12+; kids are FREE. Use this printable pass for one FREE adult admission. Palmer Event Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- All the Little Things Storytime – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. BookKids have a high regard for all things little–be they the tiny humans that come in for storytime or the tiny treasures that make their ways into our pockets. That’s why this storytime is all about little things. Enjoy a reading of the classic picture book George Shrinks, along with other tales so irresistibly small that you’ll want them for your very own. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Conjunto! Pasado Y Presente – Saturday from 7-9:00 p.m. Take a musical journey through through the sounds and dances of Conjunto, a uniquely Tejano musical movement, featuring local Austin band Cecilia and the Broken Hearts and Dance Instructors Tomas Salas and Rachel Murray. Family friendly and FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Verge Art and Music: Inaugural Event – Saturday from 7-11:00 p.m. Featuring 14 local artists, live music by Tommy Cornelison Group, interactive visualizations, and collaborative art projects including a giant coloring page. Complimentary refreshments generously provided by Real Ale Brewing Co, Austin Eastciders, Daily Greens juice, SkinnyPop popcorn, and Paqui gourmet tortilla chips. While this event is kid-friendly, it is not designed specifically for children. Please be aware that some artwork may feature minor artistic nudity. FREE! Rising Sun Aikido, 1600 W Stassney Ln, Austin.
- Relay for Life Fun Run – Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. No registration required to run or walk around the 1.42 mile trail. There will be a live DJ mixing tracks to encourage walkers along the way. Warm-up stretches will start at 9:00 a.m. and the race will begin at 9:30 a.m. Stick around after the run for food, goodie bags, and a dance party. Participants are encouraged to wear purple to honor survivors, remember loved ones who have lost their battle, and fight back against cancer. FREE but donations are suggested to benefit the American Cancer Society. The Shops at Arbor Trails, 4301 W William Cannon, Austin.
- Jo’s 10th Annual Chili Cook Off – Sunday from Noon to 3:00 p.m. Join Jo’s for their 10th Annual Chili Cook Off benefitting Urban Roots. The chili tasting and dancing start at noon with live music from Jeff Hughes and Chapparal and the Jo’s House Band. Entry is FREE! Chili tasting wristbands will be available for purchase. Jo’s, 1300 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- Harvest Thieves In-Store Performance – Sunday at 5:00 p.m. Celebrate the release of Austin’s own Harvest Thieves’ debut full length album Rival. FREE! Waterloo Records, 600A N Lamar, Austin.
Nearly Free Fun in Austin:
- Steve Scott 2016: New Year, New Stories – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Every Saturday, Move Your Tale and ColdTowne Theater collaborate to present What’s the Story, Steve?, a fully improvised, interactive journey through a story of the audience’s making, starring an improvising poodle named Steve Scott. This January, Steve has some new tricks to share with you. Read Addie’s review. Great for ages three and up. FREE with a suggested donation of $3-$5. ColdTowne Theater, 4803 Airport Blvd, Austin.
- Tet Festival – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Celebrate the Vietnamese New Year with great ethnic food, shopping, live music, raffle, cultural performances, and lots of fun exhibitions. Cost: $5 admission with raffle entry. FREE for children under 8. Travis County Expo Center, 7311 Decker Ln, Austin.
- Radio, Coffee, & Flea – Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Flea features all local handmade items and vintage wares from some of Austin’s most amazing and talented vendors. Find one-of-a-kind gifts for Valentine’s or any occasion including jewelry, bath/body products, vintage, original artwork, paper goods, textiles and so much more. Handmade. Vintage. Local. Open to all ages and FREE! Radio Coffee and Beer, 4204 Manchaca Rd, Austin.