- Zilker Summer Musical: Oklahoma! – Friday, August 15 and Saturday, August 16 at 8:30 p.m. This is your last chance to see the Zilker Summer Musical! Saturday is the final performance. Set in a Western Indian territory just after the turn of the century, this high-spirited rivalry between the local farmers and cowboys provides the colorful backdrop for Oklahoma!, one of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s most cherished collaborations. FREE! The City of Austin charges $5.00 per car for parking in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Movie at the Lake: The Lego Movie (Kyle) – Friday, August 15, 30 minutes after sunset. The City of Kyle Parks and Recreation Department has a movie screen that is 20′ wide by 12’6″ tall and measures 282″ diagonally. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and snacks. FREE! Lake Kyle, 700 Lehman Rd., Kyle.
- AISD Back to School Bash – Saturday, August 16, from 9 a.m. – noon. Learn more about the services and programs that can help students enjoy a safe and successful school year. More than 130 community and district organizations will offer exhibits for Austin ISD families. Austin ISD is also providing free shuttles at locations throughout the city. Presentations on safety and educational best practices will help prepare both students and parents for the first day of school and beyond. Nurses from Dell Children’s/AISD Health Services will provide free vaccinations and Kids Vision for Life Central Texas may be providing free vision exams and eyeglasses. Students will also receive a free backpack filled with school supplies appropriate for their particular grade level, while supplies last. FREE! Austin Convention Center, 500 E. Cesar Chavez Street, Austin.
- Clothing Exchange and Donation Drive – Saturday, August 16, from 9 a.m. – noon. Head to First Baptist Church in downtown Austin for the annual Clothing Exchange and Donation Drive, benefiting local foster families. The public is invited to “bring what you can and take what you need.” You do not need to be a foster family to participate. FREE! First Baptist Church, 9th and Trinity, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Wizard of Oz – Saturday, August 16 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 17 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children presents the live musical theater version of the motion picture The Wizard of Oz. FREE tickets for the play are available at the door 45 minutes before showtime. Shows do fill up in a hurry, so plan to arrive at least an hour early (some people have been lining up 90 minutes early). Each adult in line can only get 4 free tickets. Appropriate for all ages. Boyd Vance Theatre, George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Arts Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Fall Great Outdoors Days (Buda) – Saturday, August 16 and Sunday, August 17, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Fall Great Outdoor Days is the kick-off to the Fall Hunting, Fishing and Camping Season with FREE educational seminars and outdoor activities for the whole family. Event highlights include: Catch and Release Fishing Pond, Cabela’s BB Gun Shooting Range, Cabela’s Archery Youth Shoot, and a Clay Throwing Range. FREE! Cabela’s, 15570 S IH-35, Buda.
- BookKids National Bookstore Day Storytime – Saturday, August 16 at 11:30 a.m. Huzzah! National Bookstore Day is the first ever national holiday for the BookPeople nation. To kick off the festivities, BookPeople will be inducting young citizens into the community of readers with a bookish pledge, tokens of honor, special snacks, and — most importantly — a puppet show to honor some of BookPeople’s favorite picture books! FREE! BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- TRACE Ice Cream Social Benefiting SafePlace – Saturday, August 16, from 3 -5 p.m. Sample frozen favorites crafted by Pastry Chef Angel Begaye, including treats like chocolate toffee ice cream sandwiches, peach swirl sorbet push-up pops, and even fido ice cream for your four-legged friends! Guests are encouraged to bring school supply donations for SafePlace’s back-to-school drive. This is a family and dog-friendly event. FREE! Trace, W Austin, 200 Lavaca Street, Austin.
- 6th Annual Back to School Parade – Sunday, August 17, from 1 – 7 p.m. Wristbands for free backpacks will be distributed from 1 – 2:30 p.m. in the park (student must be present to receive a wristband). The parade starts at 3 p.m. Starting at 4 p.m., those with wristbands can pick up a free backpack. Stay in the park to enjoy a family-friendly concert with gospel rap and Christian bands. After 6 p.m., all remaining backpacks will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. For more information, read the FAQs. FREE! Bartholomew Park, 5201 Berkman Drive, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park – Sunday, August 17 at 7:30 p.m. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. This week, you can enjoy the Woodwinds ensemble. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
Bonus events for $5 or less:
- Austin Craft Riot – Saturday, August 16 and Sunday, August 17, from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Presenting the wares of some of the best local artisans in Austin, in addition to a number of fun activities to keep the whole family entertained, you’re not going to want to miss this signature event! Austin Gelato and Taco Baby food trucks will be outside and there will be a cash bar inside. On stage, Crafty Girl will be running an advanced DIY craft and there will be a video game area. On the ground floor, joining the 70 talented vendors, Wonderlab will be helping older kids with their own fun DIY, and the Austin Craft Riot volunteers will have crafts suitable for the little ones. There will also be fun games for kids to play, including a scavenger hunt (there will be free prizes!). Cost: $2 per person; kids get in FREE! Austin Music Hall, 208 Nueces Street, Austin.
- Kidgits Back to School Event (Cedar Park) – Saturday, August 16, from noon- 2 p.m. Not quite ready to get back to school? Come along on a final summer vacation “Around the World”. Kidgits members begin the adventure when you check in at the tourist table and receive your “passport” to an around the world mall adventure. Get your passport stamped at each country you visit, enjoying cultural activities along the way. Once your passport is filled, get a spin on the wheel for a neat Back-to-School surprise! Cost: FREE with $5 annual membership fee. Lakeline Mall, Dillards Women’s Court, 11200 Lakeline Mall Drive, Cedar Park.
- Summer Saturdays at French Legation Museum – Saturday, August 16, tour times are 1:15, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. Take a guided tour of the house and then enjoy a 19th century field day! Play Game of Graces, try your hand at Hoops, and challenge your family to a sack race. Cost: $5 per person; 5 and under FREE. French Legation Museum, 802 San Marcos Street, Austin.
You may also be interested in: