- Zilker Summer Musical: Hairspray – Friday, August 14 and Saturday, August 15 at 8:15 p.m. Zilker Theatre Production’s summer musical is a cherished Austin cultural event. The 57th Annual Zilker Summer Musical, Hairspray, winner of 8 Tony Awards including Best Musical, is a high-energy musical comedy phenomenon that will have the whole Hillside on their feet. Set in 1962 Baltimore, this musical is chock full of dazzling, toe-tapping production numbers and soulful rhythm and blues. FREE; donations greatly appreciated. Bring $5 (and allow extra time) if you plan to park in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- AISD Back to School Bash Celebration & Safety Fair – Saturday, August 15 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. More than 130 community and district organizations will offer exhibits for AISD families to learn more about the services and programs that can help students enjoy a safe and successful school year. Austin ISD is also providing free shuttles at locations throughout the city. Presentations on safety and educational best practices will help prepare students and parents for the first day of school and beyond. Nurses from Dell Children’s/AISD Health Services will provide free vaccinations (families must present student shot records), and Kids Vision for Life Central Texas may be providing free vision exams and eyeglasses. Austin ISD students must be present to receive a free backpack filled with school supplies, while supplies last. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Clothing Exchange and Donation Drive – Saturday, August 15 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Swap clothes, shoes and accessories you no longer wear for new-to-you items! If you have foster children, you are invited to shop without bringing anything to donate. You do not need to be a foster family to participate. First Baptist Church, 9th and Trinity, Austin.
- Parade for India – Saturday, August 15 at 10 a.m. Join Monsoon Dance in a celebration of cultural diversity. Meet at the Capitol for a FREE, family-friendly parade that is open to all. Celebrate India’s Independence Day with Monsoon Dance, Indian American Coalition of Texas IACT, South Asian Austin Moms, Hindu Charities for America, and Indian Community Center of Austin. Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Free Kids’ Shows with The Que Pastas – Saturday, August 15 at 10 a.m. and Sunday, August 16 at 10 a.m. Enjoy a FREE kindie concert at Strange Brew (5326 Manchaca Road) on Saturday or at Cherrywood Coffeehouse (1400 E. 38 1/2 Street) on Sunday. Both shows are free and start at 10 a.m.
- Mueller Back to School Bash – Saturday, August 15 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Enjoy an obstacle course, crafts, demonstrations, a photo booth, DJ and many more activities for kids of all ages. Mueller Austin will also be giving away AISD-recommended school supplies and hosting a community-wide book swap (bring a gently used book to take a gently used book!) Browning Hangar, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Family Fiesta – Saturday, August 15 from 10 a.m. – noon. Celebrate National Health Center Week at the Southeast Health and Wellness Center. This FREE Family Fiesta will include low-cost sports physicals for back to school, healthy food, carnival games, giveaways, music, and more. The event is presented by Central Health, CommUnityCare, and Sendero Health Plans. Southeast Health and Wellness Center, 2901 Montopolis Dr, Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: Junie B. Jones The Musical – Saturday, August 15 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 16 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. The show is recommended for children age 3 to 10. Tickets are FREE, but go fast, so it is advisable to arrive at least half an hour early. Visit the ASMC Facebook page for updates on ticketing policies. Boyd Vance Theater (inside George Washington Carver Museum), 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Back to School Bash – Saturday, August 15 from 5-8 p.m. FREE school supplies, snow cones, rock wall, moon bounce, and more. Call (512) 442-8476 for more information. South Austin Church of the Nazarene, 6711 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” – Sunday, August 16 at 7:30 p.m. The Hartman Foundation FREE “Concerts in the Park,” presented by the Austin Symphony Orchestra, bring the community together, just as similar events did in town centers years ago. This Sunday, the Brass ensemble will play. (See the program.) Free Parking is available at One Texas Center located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Long Center, 701 W Riverside, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Movies in the Park: The Goonies (Leander) – Friday, August 14 at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions will be available for purchase. Rated PG. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
- Movies at the Lake: ET (Kyle) – Friday, August 14 at 8 p.m. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and snacks. Movie begins 30 minutes after sunset. Rated PG. FREE! Lake Kyle Park, 700 Lehman Rd, Kyle.
- Movies in the Park: Guardians of the Galaxy (Hutto) – Friday, August 14 at 9 p.m. Bring your chairs, blankets, coolers and popcorn and enjoy a movie under the stars! Rated PG-13. For information and weather updates, please call the City of Hutto Parks and Recreation Department at 512-759-4000. Fritz Park, 400 Park Avenue, Hutto.
- Kutz4Kidz (Round Rock) – Sunday, August 16 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Round Rock Police Department and Dream Big present Kutz4Kidz, a FREE Open House event to help kids get ready to head back to school. School-age kids in attendance can get free haircuts and school supplies. Participants can tour the police station and get a behind the scenes look at holding cells, Crime Scene Unit, K-9 Unit, fingerprinting, and more. Families can enjoy fun and educational exhibits, demonstrations, car show, face painting, balloon artists, and snow cones. Also, see static displays of SWAT vehicles, police vehicles, and a fire truck. This event is FREE and free barbecue will be provided by the Round Rock Police Officers Association. Round Rock Police Department, 2701 N. Mays Street, Round Rock.
Bonus back to school shopportunity:
- Rockin’ Dudz Consignment Event – Saturday, August 15 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Sunday, August 16, from 10 a.m. – 2p.m. Rockin’ Dudz is a seasonal consignment event that features quality, gently-used or new kids and maternity clothing. Parking and admission are FREE. Frank Fickett Boy Scout Center, 12500 North IH-35, Austin.
Plus, the chance to win free stuff in our giveaways: