Catch our top five picks for free weekday fun in Austin every Monday morning on KXAN! Here are some of the exciting events you can look forward to this week.
- Trailer Food Tuesdays – Tuesday, August 23 from 5-9:00 p.m. Sample the delicious food trucks of Austin in one convenient location featuring the best view in town. The downtown skyline is the backdrop as 14-16 of Austin’s finest food trailers roll on to the City Terrace. Add family-friendly live music and Austin’s Best Downtown View, and you’ve got a huge hit. Bring your picnic blanket, friends, and family. View the music and food truck lineup here. This event is FREE with food and drink available for purchase. It was rescheduled from last week, due to the weather. The Long Center Terrace, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Sound & Cinema: Tommy Boy – Wednesday, August 24 at 8:00 p.m. Sound & Cinema 2016 features unique pairings of classic movies with a diverse array of local musical guests. Each band plays a musical tribute to the night’s movie, followed by a screening of the film on the Alamo’s giant inflatable outdoor screen – all against the backdrop of the Austin skyline. This week, watch Tommy Boy with music by Matthew Logan Vasquez of Delta Spirit. Rated PG-13. Food trailers will open by 6:00 p.m. with food and beverages available for purchase. The sunset concert will begin at 8:00 p.m. The movie will immediately follow (around 9:00 p.m., or right after sunset). FREE! This event was rescheduled from last week, due to weather. Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- 101x Summer Cinema Series: The Goonies – Wednesday, August 24 at 8:00 p.m. Arrive early at Central Market with your blankets, lawn chairs and appetites. Food specials in the café. Movie starts at dusk but you don’t want to lose your seat. Rated PG. Family friendly and FREE! This event was rescheduled from last week, due to weather. Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Movies in the Park: Cinderella (Leander) – Friday, August 26 at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions will be available for purchase. Rated PG. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.
- Movie Night at Community Cinema: Inside Out (RSVP) – Friday, August 26 at 7:30 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Inside Out. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash only). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
For more free weekday fun, check out What’s Up? Weekly: August 22-26, 2016!