Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun:
- Family Movie Night: The Lego Movie – Tuesday, September 9 at 6:30 p.m. An ordinary Lego construction worker, thought to be the prophesied ‘Special’, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the LEGO universe into eternal stasis. Rated PG. FREE! APL – Twin Oaks Branch, 1800 S Fifth St, Austin.
- Yoga in the Park – Wednesday, September 10 at Noon. Yoga Yoga is proud to offer an all level Hatha Yoga class. Please bring your own yoga mat to class. FREE! Republic Square Park, 422 Guadalupe, Austin.
- Dav Pilkey Appearance – Thursday, September 11 at 6:30 p.m. Dav Pilky, the bestselling author of the Captain Underpants series, will discuss Captain Underpants’ latest adventure: Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000. The speaking portion of this event is FREE and open to the public. Book purchase is required to join the signing line; find details here. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Movies in the Park: Raising Arizona – Thursday, September 11 at 8:00 p.m. Bring your blanket or lawn chairs and a picnic dinner for a fun and relaxing evening under the beautiful Austin night sky. Rated PG-13. FREE! Republic Square Park, 422 Guadalupe, Austin.
- Hot Science – Cool Talks – Friday, September 12 at 5:45 p.m. Chemistry is easy. Dr. David Laude, Professor of Chemistry, is tired of everyone taking three steps back every time he tells them that he is a chemist. He will demonstrate how a few simple, recurring ideas in chemistry can help you understand concepts like climate change, how batteries work, and how food is made. Dr. Laude will also create explosions and cap your evening by making liquid nitrogen ice cream for everyone. Interactive Fair from 5:45-7:00 p.m.; Talk begins at 7:00 p.m. FREE! UT Campus, Welch Hall Auditorium, 105 E 24th St, Austin.
For more than 60 events coming up this week, check out What’s Up? Weekly (September 8-12, 2014).