Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun!
- Boardwalk Bazaar – Wednesday, September 17 from 6-9:00 p.m. Boardwalk Bazaar will be a celebration of the new boardwalk at Lady Bird Lake and will also commemorate the grand opening of the Austin Music Foundation’s new headquarters. Live music from local favorites and delicious food from some of Austin’s most buzzed-about food trucks will come together to create one party that can’t be missed. FREE! South Shore District, 1333 Shore District Dr, Austin.
- Family Rock Climbing Adventures (RSVP) – Thursday, September 18 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Join a professionally certified rock climbing instructor as she guides your family on rock climbing adventures at various outdoor locations around Austin. Put on by Metz Recreation Center and the city of Austin Parks and Recreation Department, this adventure will provide your family with a team-building opportunity like no other. Plus you get to experience what the outdoor world of Austin has to offer! Program is FREE and all gear is provided, except climbing shoes. Ages 8 and up only. RSVP required; 512-478-8716 call to reserve your spot. Location provided at registration.
- Science Under the Stars – Thursday, September 18 at 7:30 p.m. Coral reefs are important ecosystems that are currently experiencing massive global declines due to a variety of factors. The Matz lab at UT Austin looks for certain corals that may be more resistant to harmful environmental changes in hopes of securing a better future for our reefs. Come and learn about these beautiful ocean creatures. Arrive early for refreshments and fun activities for kids of all ages. Guided tours of the field lab start at 7 p.m. (wear sturdy shoes and bring water). FREE! Brackenridge Field Laboratory, 2907 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin.
- Unplugged at the Grove – Thursday, September 18 at 8:00 p.m. Enjoy the final show in this year’s Unplugged at the Grove live music series, hosted by KGSR as Jonathan Tyler performs. FREE! Shady Grove, 1624 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Frozen Sing-Along (Pflugerville) – Friday, September 19 at 6:30 p.m. Join in the fun with a sing-along version of Frozen! Costumes are welcome. There will be a face painter from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Bring your cameras to take photos with Queen Elsa until the movie starts. The movie will start at 7:30 p.m. Bring blankets or folding chairs. Small coolers will be allowed, but no alcohol please. FREE admission and FREE parking (at the Rec Center and to the south in the Immanuel Lutheran Church parking lot). Please note that the location has changed as the movie has been moved indoors. Pflugerville Recreation Center gymnasium, 400 Immanuel Road, Pflugerville.