Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun:
- SXSW Eco in Brush Square Park – Monday, October 6 – Wednesday, October 8, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Head to Brush Square Park, located across from the Austin Convention Center, each day of SXSW Eco for demos and lunchtime concerts! This event is FREE and open to the Austin community. Sun Radio will be broadcasting live and hosting a lunchtime concert series at 1:00 p.m. each day. Brush Square Park, 409 E 5th St, Austin.
- Hot Science – Cool Talks – Monday, October 6 from 5:45-8:15 p.m. This month’s Hot Science – Cool Talks is still FREE, open to the community, and fun for all ages like it always is, but it will be at the SXSW Eco conference downtown. Kevin Kloesel will be speaking about “Extreme Weather” and the National Weather Service will be bringing a tornado machine. In addition, there’ll be a Van de Graaff generator to make lightning with, and an activity where folks can erupt snow to make an avalanche. FREE! SXSW Eco at Austin Convention Center, Ballroom D, 500 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Dittmar Recreation Center National Night Out – Tuesday, October 7, from 6-8:00 p.m. National Night Out promotes safety, crime prevention, and neighborhood camaraderie. To discover the many resources in this community, and to learn more safety tips for your home and family, join Dittmar Recreation Center for National Night Out, where you can enjoy a “drive in movie” viewing of Warner Bros.’ Space Jam, FREE food, and carnival games. Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W. Dittmar Rd., Austin.
- B.J. Novak Speaking & Signing The Book with No Pictures – Thursday, October 9 at 6:30 p.m. B.J. Novak – bestselling author and star of The Office – returns to BookPeople with a new book. The speaking portion of this event is FREE and open to the public. In order to have anything signed at a BookPeople event, a copy of the event book must be purchased from BookPeople. Tickets are required to join the signing line at this event. Books and tickets are available for pre-order. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Shakespeare on the Farm: The Tempest – Thursday, October 9 and Friday, October 10 at 7:30 p.m. Present Company presents Shakespeare’s classic tale of love, magic, and one helluva hurricane. Promoting the philosophy of accessible and sustainable art, Shakespeare on the Farm is a FREE event, but a suggested donation of $10-$20 helps support the event and the artists that create it. Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket or short chair and a picnic, although snacks and donation-based cocktails will be available. Suitable for all ages. Seating begins at 6:30 p.m. and show begins around 7:30 p.m. RSVP here. Rain Lily Farm, 914 Shady Ln, Austin.
For more weekday events, be sure to check out What’s Up? Weekly!