This week’s free event roundup for the KXAN morning news is geared more toward the grown ups. For a big list of family-friendly events, be sure to check out What’s Up? Weekly.
- Free Week – Monday, January 5 – Sunday, January 11. Enjoy FREE live music at clubs all over Austin this week. See the schedule here. (21+)
- Community Cinema: A Path Appears – Tuesday, January 6 at 7:00 p.m. Join the Austin Public Library and KLRU-TV for Community Cinema, a series screening films from the PBS series Independent Lens. After the film, lively discussions bring citizens and organizations together to encourage dialogue and action around important and timely social issues. A Path Appears goes to the USA, Colombia, Haiti, and Kenya to reveal the incredible adversity faced every day by millions of women and girls, while also presenting glimpses of hope and change. FREE! APL – Windsor Park Branch, 5833 Westminster Dr, Austin.
- INSIGHTS: Casting in Bronze – Wednesday, January 7 from 6-8:00 p.m. Members of Atelier 3D studio will take visitors through the stages of creating a bronze sculpture, culminating in a live bronze pour. FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.
- CPC Thursday Noonday Concert – Thursday, January 8 from 12:05-12:35 p.m. Enjoy a FREE concert with Bruce Cain, baritone and David Asbury, guitar. A program of Art Songs in English and Spanish. Always family friendly! The easiest parking is usually at First Baptist parking garage, on the right side of Trinity, halfway between 8th & 9th Streets. Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E. Eighth St. (at Brazos), Austin.
- Faces & Places of Asia Opening Reception – Friday, January 9 from 6-8:00 p.m. Rama Tiru has traveled around the world and she believes her journey is ever evolving. This solo exhibition beckons viewers to join in this journey, to soak in an expansive visual display of the Asian continent. Tiru hopes the features of the faraway, both soil and society, will conjure memories of home for Asian immigrants and spark an interest in the minds of young Asian Americans and others to learn about places they may have never been but may now want to go. Refreshments provided. FREE! Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Rd, Austin.