- Spotlight on Opera Presents: Little Red Riding Hood – Monday, August 3 at 4:00 p.m. at Howson Branch (2500 Exposition Blvd) and Wednesday, August 5 at 2:00 p.m at Hampton Branch (5125 Convict Hill Rd). Little Red Riding Hood knows she’s supposed to go straight to Grandma’s house, and she knows she’s not supposed to talk to strangers…but the strawberry patch is just a LITTLE bit out of the way, and the hairy man who meets her in the woods is a friend of Grandma’s. This 40-minute children’s opera is updated to take place in Poteet, TX. Sung in English, it will delight children while teaching important lessons about minding your parents, healthy eating, not talking to strangers, and girl power. Best for ages 5-12, but kids of all ages will love it. FREE!
- Bug Stalking – Meet the Bugs! – Tuesday, August 4, from 12-1:00 p.m. Find out what all the buzz is about! Visit the Dougherty Arts Center to connect the Science of Nature with Art. Austin photographer Michelle Dapra Atkinson, will talk about how she created the macro photographs in the Dougherty’s current exhibit, Bug Stalking. Everyone who visits will get a chance to meet real arthropods from the Austin Nature Science Center, including scorpions, millipedes and a tarantula live and up close. Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Trailer Food Tuesdays – Tuesday, August 4 from 5-9:00 p.m. The last Trailer Food Tuesdays of the season is upon us. Find the delicious food trucks of Austin in one convenient, gorgeous location and enjoy listening to family-friendly live music by DJ Protege and Minor Mishap Marching Band. Bring your picnic blanket, friends and family, and enjoy the biggest Trailer Food Tuesdays season this city has ever seen. Preview this month’s trucks and trailers here. FREE! The Long Center, 701 West Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Blues on the Green – Wednesday, August 5 at 8:00 p.m. KGSR’s Blues on the Green returns to Zilker Park with FREE, live music. Take your blankets or lawn chairs and join in the fun. This week, Jamestown Revival and Kaleo perform. Read answers to FAQs about getting there. Zilker Park (east end where Lou Neff Road wraps around), 2100 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Movie in the Park: Mary Poppins Sing-Along (Pflugerville) – Friday, August 7 at 8:30 p.m. Come ready to sing about “a spoonful of sugar” and practice your “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” as Pflugerville continues to celebrate 50 years as an incorporated city and brings back this 1960’s musical favorite. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and cash for concessions during the film. Costume contest at 7:45 p.m. The movie starts at 8:30 p.m. FREE! Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Rd, Pflugerville.
For 70+ weekday events, be sure to check out What’s Up? Weekly!