After a weekend spent overindulging on food and shopping, it’s nice to have a day on the calendar that is specific to making a difference for others. Giving Tuesday is that day. It’s a “global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration…celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday,” says the Giving Tuesday website.
The day kicks off the charitable giving season where donors focus on holiday and end-of-year giving. The #GivingTuesday website helps to connect nonprofits with donors, offering up tools for NPOs and search engines for donors. Unfortunately, upon our attempt to search for charities in “Austin, TX” the search engine seemed to be malfunctioning. A search of just “Texas” did yield some results. Never fear, though — Central Texas-based I Live Here I Give Here is an excellent, comprehensive resource for finding area nonprofits, if you don’t already have one.
Get Our Posts Delivered Every Friday
Let us show you the best of Austin, Texas. No spam, we promise!
Alright, alright, alright!
And of all days to share your commitment to helping charities, #GivingTuesday is the day. Sharing and hashtagging your social posts will hopefully help encourage others to make a difference (and feel free to share this post everywhere so they know what the day is all about).
Here are just a few fun facts to encourage you to make a donation this #GivingTuesday:
- Last year, Giving Tuesday raised $116 million by 700,000 people in over 70 countries (Giving Tuesday).
- The Austin Metropolitan Statistical Area has more nonprofits per capita than any other major metro area in Texas and the Southwest U.S. (Greenlights for Nonprofit Success).
- Austin is home to more than 5,660 registered nonprofits. That’s equivalent to 3.1 nonprofits per 1,000 people. Travis County is home to 3,769 nonprofits and has added nearly 900 new organizations in the past 10 years (Greenlights for Nonprofit Success).
- You can easily search local nonprofits by category, county, and name on the I Live Here I Give Here website.
- I Live Here I Give Here is home to another great day of giving — Amplify Austin Day. It happens next year from March 2-3, 2017. This 24-hour fundraiser is a fun way for Austin charities to raise money, compete for prizes, and possibly gain extra support from sponsors.
- Your donations are tax deductible. So doing some serious good can also end up giving you a few perks along the way.
- Not looking to make a monetary donation? This is also the perfect time of the year to help out families in need for the holidays (learn more here, #6). You can also start up a new volunteer habit, which is always a great way to bond with family and friends or a great opportunity to meet new people.
Featured photo from Pixabay, Creative Commons licensed