With so many options for great live music experiences around town, it can be a little overwhelming to find the space or event that’s perfect for the whole crew. To make it a bit easier, here are our top outdoor music venues for families in Austin this season!
Additional reporting by Christina Boudreaux.
Free Live Music Events in Austin
- Blues on the Green, Zilker Park: Pack a picnic for this summer series, one of Austin’s favorites for over 25 years. Bring the kids, teens, pups, and friends to this massive community party in Zilker Park, but be sure to get there early to get a good spot. The schedule can be found here.
- Long Center Drop In – They provide the tunes, the drinks, and the view. You bring the energy, and we’ll vibe all summer long, every Thursday night on the Hartman Concert Lawn. Did we mention that every show is 100% FREE?
- Hartman Foundation Concerts in the Park – Austinites know summer has begun once the Austin Symphony Orchestra’s Hartman Foundation Concerts in the Park has begun. All ages, including pets, enjoy relaxing Sunday evenings with different musical ensembles presented by the Austin Symphony Orchestra. Check the website as many events have already been cancelled due to extreme heat.
- Waterloo Greenway – The revitalized 11-acre Waterloo Park is a central hub of activity and a catch-your-breath haven for every Austinite. Picnic by imaginative playscapes in the Kitty King Powell Lawn or lie down and laugh awhile on the Great Lawn that rolls up to the world-class Moody Amphitheater. Check the events schedule for free music, films, workouts and more!
- Festivals: Austin locals know there’s nothing better than a good music festival, and that goes for the kids’ events as well! Fun and creative activities pair with moving and grooving to music, making this an experience the littles will never forget. Thinking about bringing little ones to upcoming fall festivals like Austin City Limits Music Festival? Be sure to check out the kids’ stages. Children 10 and under are admitted for free, and ACL even throws its own kids-oriented event, Austin Kiddie Limits, packed full of music, crafts, workshops and more.
Free Live Music Venues in Austin
- Oak Garden Stage at Guero’s Taco Bar: Stop by Guero’s patio on select nights for a family-friendly music experience. Chow down on queso and tacos while local, regional, and national acts entertain as the sun goes down. Year-round.
- Radio Coffee & Beer: This South Austin coffee house and bar certainly knows how to entertain. Radio hosts an eclectic selection of live music multiple nights a week. The kids will love exploring the lively yard and patio while parents enjoy a rotating craft tap selection and quality coffee brewed from Stumptown Coffee Roasters.
- Central Market, North Lamar: Many people may be surprised to find out just how much Austin capitalizes on the phrase Live Music Capital of the World®. But a visit to Central Market North is sure to solidify the title, considering this beloved grocery store also hosts regular musicians, community music events, and more. Let the kids explore the playground and park before grabbing a quick, healthy snack in the café and enjoying music on the deck.
- Cherrywood Coffeehouse: This cozy east Austin café serves up a family-oriented Sunday brunch, featuring mimosas for the ‘rents and live music from local kids’ entertainers. The free kid’s show starts every Sunday at 10 a.m. Bring your dancing shoes because these weekend events are notorious for getting kids on their feet and dancing in the aisles!
- Cosmic Coffee + Beer Garden: This spacious spot offers live music on both Tuesdays and weekends, and with food trucks and plenty of space to explore it’s a lovely choice for both adventuring and jamming with the crew. Check the link for weekly musicians and times.
- Banger’s Sausage House and Beer Garden: Pair live music with homemade sausage, craft beer, and ambiance aplenty, and Banger’s is the magic that happens. There’s room to run around and even a toy basket for kids, creating an ideal spot for every age group. Check their events calendar for a full rundown of upcoming music and musicians.
- Breweries like St. Elmo, Vista Brewing, Family Business Beer Co., ABGB, Celis Brewery and Meanwhile Brewing are kid-friendly and often offer live music on the weekends and for special events. Check the links for the specific dates and times of each brewery.
Looking for family-friendly free events in the area? Check out our calendar.