Diaper need is real. Diapers are expensive and federal assistance programs, such as SNAP (formerly called food stamps) and WIC, do not cover diapers. Disposable diapers are typically a requirement of most childcare centers, making them a necessity for working parents. Parents are forced to make hard decisions with limited resources.
- In Travis County, 26% of all children under 18 live in poverty (household income of below $24,000 a year).
- Based on 2012 US Census Bureau data, Austin Diaper Bank estimates that nearly 12,000 babies and toddlers are in a diaper need situation.
- 50% of all single mother households live below the poverty line.
- Austin has the second highest rate of suburban poverty growth of US cities.
|Inside at Austin Diaper Bank|
Austin Diaper Bank’s goal in 2014 was to get its own space — and they were able to make that happen, due to the great response from the community. They raised $4,000 and signed a lease on a small but very important office of 400 sq. ft. This space has allowed Austin Diaper Bank to gather nearly 100,000 diapers in 2014 alone, and they are proud to have served over 25 agencies and nearly 2,000 people — all with volunteers in this tiny space. As you can see, it’s mighty full!
- Donating money is easy — just click here. You can schedule your gift now (set it and forget it!) or give a gift during the live event on March 5 – 6.
- Helping Austin Diaper Bank fundraise is very helpful — click here to find out how. Austin Diaper Bank will even craft the messages for you, so you can just cut and paste.
- Sharing through social media is so important — it spreads the word throughout our community. Here’s the Austin Diaper Bank Facebook page.
- Austin Diaper Bank also has some great events planned to celebrate Amplify Austin — click here to check them out, or scroll down to view the list of events. There will be five events within 24 hours!
Thursday, March 5, 2015:
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Dr. Hamilton says, “Thank you, Austin, for all your support and kindness. The relief and joy in the eyes of the mothers we help is worth every minute we spend on this cause.”
To learn more about Austin Diaper Bank, click here.