It’s almost fall and that means it’s time for special discounts and educational events for homeschoolers! We’ve gathered a list of some awesome activities for your family or homeschool group in Austin and around the state.
Pioneer Farms – Visitors will see authentic frontier life on historic sites — the 1841 Tonkawa Encampment, the 1868 German Farm, the 1873 Texian Farm, the 1886 Cotton Planter’s Farm and the 1899 Sprinkle Corner village.
- Date: September 11th; Gates open at 10 am
- Cost: $3 per person
Austin Zoo – Visit the Austin Zoo for a day full of special programs and fun activities.
- Date: September 25th; 9:30 am to 3:30 pm
- Cost: $5 for adults, $5 for children. Please call 512-288-5031 for reservations. Please note: Advance reservations are required to receive the special $5 rate. Prices at the door will be full priced.
- Additional Info: View the full list of presenters and information about the Austin Zoo Patch scavenger hunt here, and find more fun kid-friendly activities here.
The Bullock Museum – A day full of discovery and learning with special programs and classes.
- Date: October 8th; 10 am to 2 pm
- Cost: FREE admission and Group discount rates for films in the IMAX Theatre and the Texas Spirit Theatre
- Additional Info: Visit the link to RSVP and to view the full homeschool class schedule
Hill Country Science Mill (Johnson City, TX) – On the second Wednesday of each month, the Science Mill will offer a reduced rate to the museum as well as special programming including special demonstrations and guests.
- Date: Monthly – Sept 9th, Oct 14th, Nov 11th, Dec 9th; 10 am to 4 pm
- Cost: $6 per student. 1 free educator per student. Additional adults are $8. No reservations required. Learning Labs will be offered at 11:30am and 1pm for an additional cost of $4 per student (limited space available for Learning Labs).
- Additional Info: Homeschool parents can request to join the educator email list at [email protected]
Schlitterbahn New Braunfels – Discounted rates available for the full park.
- Date: September 12, 13, 19 & 20, 2015
- Additional Info: Home School Family Full-Park Days tickets will be available for purchase online with no minimum order required.
Barton Hills Farm (Bastrop, TX) – Field Trips are available. Please Note: Reservations are required.
- Date: October 2nd; 9 am-2 pm
- Cost: $7 per student, teacher and/or chaperone. One responsible adult chaperone for every 4 students is required. Note: Reservations are required for all field trips. Please have one person pay for the entire group field trip.
- Additional Info: Visit the field trip page to print pre and post trip lesson plans, activities, and more.
Legoland Discovery Center (Grapevine, TX) – Enjoy reduced admission and a free workshop during homeschool week.
- Date: Sept 14th – Sept 18th ; 10 am-5 pm
- Cost: $10 per person. Includes a 30 min Spinning Tops workshop
- Additional Info: Limited space is available. Tickets must be pre-booked. The selected time slot represents the time of your 30 minute workshop. Your ticket is valid for all-day entry. There is no re-entry into the center.
SEA LIFE Aquarium (Grapevine, TX) – Visit during homeschool week for reduced rates and a free workshop.
- Date: Sept 14th through Sept 18th; 10 am – 6:30 pm
- Cost: $10 per person. Includes a 30 min Cephalopod workshop.
- Additional Info: Limited space is available. Tickets must be pre-booked. The selected time slot represents the time of your 30 minute workshop. Your ticket is valid for all-day entry into the aquarium.
Great Wolf Lodge (Grapevine, TX) – Save 15% on best available rates on select dates.
- Date: Book and stay by 12/17/15.
- Cost: Savings of up to 15% on select stay dates. Includes water park access.
- Additional Info: Sunday – Thursday only, blackout dates may apply. Use promo code HOME.
Houston Zoo – Hands on fun and behind the scenes tours just for homeschool families. Registration is required.
- Date: Sept 24th, Nov 12th, Feb 11th, May 12; 10 am – 1:15 pm.
- Cost: $12 for Zoo Members; $15 for non-Zoo Members; Free with Club H.S. Membership
- Additional Info: Find educator materials to enhance your visit here.
- Date: October 8th; 9 am-5 pm.
- Cost: $11.95 (purchased through Sept. 18) BEST PRICE, $13.95 (Sept. 19-Oct. 7), $23.95 day of event
- Additional Info: Meal options are available here.
Texas Renaissance Festival (Todd Mission, TX) – visit the Renaissance Festival during school days for reduced rates and special programs.
- Date: November 3rd and 4th
- Cost: $9 per person; children under 4 are free; Admission includes all stage entertainment, demonstrations and interactive presentations, and all contests. Lunch Coupon Books are available for $9.00 per person and offer one entrée, one drink and one dessert and may be redeemed at any participating food vendor throughout the village. As a special bonus, these coupon books also include tickets to return to the Festival on a weekend.
- Additional Info: Enhance your visit with pre and post trip lesson plans, activities, and more here.