Not to alarm you, but Father’s Day is this Sunday, June 15, 2014. My big plan is to take the kids away so my husband can work on the lawn, because I am super generous like that. If you were hoping to treat the father in your life to something a little more exciting than yardwork, here are a few ideas to help you out.
Free things to do with Dad:
- Puppet Show Celebrating Fathers at BookPeople – Saturday, June 14 at 11:30 a.m. Crafty puppeteers will be celebrating all the things that make our dads the coolest and most lovable guys around. They’ll be performing the story Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?. Make sure to arrive early so you get a good seat! The show begins at 11:30 a.m. It’s FREE! 603 N. Lamar, Austin.
- Dads Gone Wild Car and Motorcycle Show (Leander) – Sunday, June 15 at 9 a.m. This is no ordinary Father’s Day event. All cars, motorcycles and off-road vehicles are welcome. Vehicle registration is FREE. There will be FREE breakfast, FREE t-shirts for entrants and all men, plus drawings for prizes. RockPointe Church, 1070 County Road 177, Leander.
- Austin Symphonic Band: Fathers Day in the Park – Sunday, June 15, from 7:30 – 9 p.m. ASB celebrates your dad with this annual concert at the Zilker Hillside Theatre. Marches, patriotic melodies, and other familiar works are the order of the day – selections that will have Dad’s toe tappin’ – as well as your own (program here). Bring a picnic basket and spread out a blanket under the pecan trees. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” – Sunday, June 15 at 7:30 p.m. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. For Father’s Day, you can enjoy Big Band music (program here). Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE! Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
Make a gift for Dad:
- Free Youth Workshop at Austin Habitat ReStore – Saturday, June 14, from 10 a.m. – noon. Want a fun activity with your children that will also result in a cool Father’s Day gift or neat piece of upcycled art? RSVP today by emailing [email protected] Space is limited. FREE and all materials will be provided. Austin Habitat for Humanity ReStore, 310 Comal St, Austin.
- Make a Father’s Day Wood Frame at Michaels – Saturday, June 14, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Create some picture perfect fun for Dad at the Father’s Day Wood Frame Event. $2 per 30-minute session (includes supplies). Ages 3 and up are welcome to participate. (Kids can also make a tie dye shirt for Dad from 1 – 4 p.m. Purchase a t-shirt and meet up in the classroom for some crafty fun.) See a store associate for details.
- Father’s Day Storytime at Barnes & Noble Arboretum – Saturday, June 14 at 11 a.m. Join Barnes & Noble in celebrating hardworking dads with a Father’s Day Storytime featuring Mighty Dads. Mighty dads, strong and tall, help their children, young and small. There will be activities and a Father’s Day card-making craft afterwards. FREE! Barnes & Noble Arboretum, 10000 Research Blvd #158, Austin.
- Make a Father’s Day Pencil Holder – Saturday, June 14, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Drop in to make a free gift for Dad! Lakeshore Learning, 9828 Great Hills Trail, Austin.
- Father’s Day Fair at Whole Foods Market Domain – Saturday, June 14, from 12 – 3 p.m. Celebrate Dad with sample recipes that are sure to make his day. Make gifts for Dad on the patio! FREE! Whole Foods Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- Make a Gift for Dad at Toybrary – Saturday, June 14, from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Make a pet rock and mount it to be hung on the wall. It will say “Dads Rock!” $3 per child, or three canned goods. Canned tomatoes and beans, brown rice, honey, and smooth peanut butter would be especially appreciated. Toybrary Austin, 7817 Rockwood, Ste. 101, Austin.
- Make a Father’s Day Card at Lake Travis Community Library – Sunday, June 15, from 1:30 – 3 p.m. Do you want to celebrate your dad on Father’s Day? Stop by the library and create a wonderful card! FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
Freebies for Dad:
- Hawaiian Falls – Saturday, June 14 and Sunday, June 15, from 10:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. Hawaiian Falls is inviting all Dads and Granddads to come play with the family this Father’s Day weekend at any of its seven Texas water parks. Dad and/or Granddad can get in FREE Saturday, June 14 and Sunday, June 15 when accompanied by a child with a day ticket or season pass plus a “Dads Free” coupon, which can be downloaded at http://www.hfalls.com/special-offers/. As always, kids 2 and under are free. So, yes—if Dad is accompanied by a 2-year-old or younger, both Dad and child would be free. Central Texas Hawaiian Falls water parks in Pflugerville and Waco will be open 10:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday, June 14 and Father’s Day, Sunday, June 15. Season passholders always get in 30 minutes before the general public.
- KOA – Friday, June 13 – Sunday, June 15. Kids camp FREE on Father’s Day Weekend at participating locations. What’s a bigger blast than hanging out with Dad for an entire summer weekend? Having the kids camp completely FREE. Give Dad exactly what he wants for Father’s Day this year—quality family time in the great outdoors. Go here for participating campgrounds.
- Playland Skate Center – Sunday, June 15, from noon – 5 p.m. Dads skate FREE, with the purchase of a child’s admission. 8822 McCann Drive, Austin.
Know of more local Father’s Day promotions? Let us know in the comments!