- Final Weekend for Splash Pad Fun – Friday, September 5 – Sunday, September 7, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Sunday is the last day that City of Austin splash pads will be operating. Get out there and have a splish splashing good time! To see the splash pad locations and schedules, visit the City of Austin website. FREE!
- Kids Workshop at The Home Depot – Saturday, September 6, from 9 a.m. – noon. Kids can head to their local Home Depot to make a Wizard of Oz birdhouse for FREE! This hands-on workshop is designed for children ages 5 – 12.
- Zilker Clothing & Book Swap – Saturday, September 6, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Bring any clothes (kids or adults), backpacks, shoes, and books that you no longer use. Then, “shop” for FREE from what others brought! Anything left over will be donated to charity. Zilker Elementary School cafeteria, 1900 Bluebonnet Lane, Austin.
- Celebrate Me! South Korea– Saturday, September 6, from noon – 4 p.m. Celebrate Me! invites participants to explore different cultures and the artistic life of their community through language, food, geography, and history. For a complete schedule of events, click here. FREE and open to the public. For more information, call 512-974-4926. Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina Street, Austin.
- International Music Festival – Saturday, September 6 and Sunday, September 7. The Fourth Annual International Music Festival, presented by the Texas Music Museum at the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, will feature music representing various cultures throughout the world. This is a FREE event, but donations are appreciated. Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina Street, Austin.
- Salsa Under the Stars – Saturday, September 6, from 7 – 9 p.m. Arrive early for a beginner dance lesson at 7 p.m., then stay and dance until 9 p.m. with live music from La Moña Loca! The rain date for this event is September 13. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Road, Austin.
- Free Day of Dance – Sunday, September 7, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Come and experience the power of dance with Tapestry Dance Company and Academy. Try a FREE class: All levels of Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Flamenco, Belly Dance, Contemporary and Modern. Register online to secure your spot (select the “Free Day of Dance” tab). Tapestry Dance Company and Academy, 2302 Western Trails Blvd., Austin.
- First Sunday at Bullock Museum: Veterans Voices – Sunday, September 7, from noon – 5 p.m. Enjoy FREE exhibit admission during Free First Sundays, held the first Sunday of every month. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibits that showcase artifacts from around the state. Special family programs from 12-3 p.m. will focus on the role Texans have played in the conflicts of the 20th and 21st centuries. This program will feature drop-in opportunities for veterans to share their stories of returning from combat and for visitors to learn more about the legacies of war. Catch a storytime all about Texas Heroes at 2 p.m. See the full schedule here. FREE; regular admission prices apply to the Texas Spirit Theater and IMAX Theatre. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Avenue, Austin.
- UMLAUF Family Day – Sunday, September 7, from noon – 4 p.m. First Sundays offer a special, hands-on program designed for families with children age four to 15. Families have the opportunity to explore the Umlauf collection and exhibitions in the garden and museum while engaging in creative activities. Family First Sundays feature Story Time with BookPeople (1 p.m.), sculpture demonstrations by representatives from Texas Society of Sculptors, sculpture scavenger hunts and more! See the full schedule here. FREE! UMLAUF Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E. Lee Road, Austin.
- Sunday Funday at Neill-Cochran House Museum – Sunday, September 7, from 1 – 4 p.m. Every first Sunday of the month the Neill-Cochran House Museum will be open to the public for FREE from 1 – 4 p.m. Each Sunday will include an activity highlighting a theme that embodies both the history of Texas and the Neill-Cochran House Museum. Walk-through tours of the house will also be available. This Sunday, enjoy lawn games at the museum! Neill-Cochran House Museum, 2310 San Gabriel Street, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Fairytale Threads Consignment Sale (Cedar Park) – Friday, September 5, from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday, September 6, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Find clothes for newborns-kid’s 16, maternity, books, gear and toys for kids, babies and toddlers. FREE admission. 1420 Toro Grande, Cedar Park.
- Movie in the Park: The Lego Movie (Cedar Park) – Friday, September 5 at 8 p.m. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs as there will be plenty of grass area available. Concessions will not be available; you are welcome to bring a picnic. Glass containers are prohibited. Admission is FREE. For more information, call 512-401-5500. Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
- Hey Lolly Brass Band (Round Rock) – Saturday, September 6, from 10:30 – 11:15 a.m. Celebrate Grandparents Day a day early with a fun concert from a 6-piece orchestra! FREE, but donations for the Austin Diaper Bank are encouraged. (After the concert, head over to Centennial Plaza to enjoy Round Rock Market Days!) Sharon Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E. Main Street, Round Rock.
- Saturday Night Concert Series at Hill Country Galleria (Bee Cave) – Saturday, September 6, from 7 – 9 p.m. Enjoy FREE, live music in the outdoor amphitheater. This week’s performer: Vallejo. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
You may also be interested in: