Autumn fun is in full swing, and we have some of the best FREE fun for you! Kick off the weekend with a spooky Friday the 13th outdoor movie: Hocus Pocus! During the rest of the weekend, the fun doesn’t stop! Your family can learn about archaeology, trees, and refugees. You can celebrate chihuahuas or the anniversary of a favorite local farmer’s market. There’s also a bit of art, a Fall Festival and an awesome and FREE kids’ alternative to ACL Fest! Don’t forget about the Nurture My Child Family Fair, where you can find lots of great info about local classes, childcare, camps, and schools all in one place. Search for even more free Austin events on our Free Fun in Austin Calendar, and get out there and enjoy October in Austin!
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin
Brought to you by…
Don’t miss Nurture My Child Family Fair, October 15, 1-4:00 p.m. at Norris Conference Center in Austin.
- Community Cinema: Hocus Pocus – Friday at 7 p.m. Grab chairs and a blanket, bring family and friends, and enjoy a special screening of Hocus Pocus. Arrive early to explore Community First! Village, pick your spot, and enjoy a family favorite on the big screen. Plus, stop by the Community Market to check out all the beautiful art and handcrafted products that Community First! residents make in the various micro-enterprise programs at the Village. Candy, popcorn, water, and sodas will be available for purchase (cash preferred). Concession sales and tips help Community First! friends who will be serving you to earn a modest living income. Movie begins at sundown. Reserve your FREE tickets here. A donation of $5 is greatly appreciated. Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Texas Archeology Month Fair – Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The University of Texas’ Texas Archeological Research Laboratory and the Texas Historical Commission are partnering to host the annual Texas Archeology Month Fair, a FREE, family-friendly event that offers fun & educational hands-on activities for kids, older students, and adults. Bring your kids and friends of all ages to learn about the archaeology that’s happening around us all the time, see examples of Texas’ rich archaeological legacy, and see how archaeology plays an important part in environmental conservation and scientific research. Visitors will get the chance to view artifact displays, see presentations by professional archaeologists, and check out activities including stone tool making, rock art, blacksmithing, spear throwing (in a very controlled environment!), and a mini mock excavation. FREE! J.J. Pickle Research Campus, 10100 Burnet Road, Austin.
- Second Saturdays are for Families – Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. What do the trees have to say? Learn about Austin’s towering residents from the educators of environmental nonprofit TreeFolks, and use them to make beautiful prints to take home. Check out some tree-themed works of art and play on the temporary tree stump playground. Reserve your FREE spot here. The Contemporary Austin – Laguna Gloria, 3809 W 35th St, Austin.
- Refugee Services of Texas Annual Open House – Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Refugee Services of Texas resettles refugees from around the world and helps them to find a thriving new life here in Austin though resettlement services, cultural orientation, employment, counseling, medical, and immigration assistance services. Come get to know them! Meet and mingle with RST Austin’s staff, clients, and community at the annual open house! There will be international foods, music performances, kid’s activities, a resources fair, a raffle, and more. Feel free to bring an HEB gift card donation. All are welcome! FREE! Refugee Services of Texas-Austin Service Center, 500 E St Johns Ave #1.280, Austin.
- HOPE FM’s 8th Anniversary – Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. HOPE Farmers Market is turning 8 this year!! Celebrate with East Side’s longest running farmers market and best vendors at Plaza Saltillo. HOPE FM vendors offer a little bit of everything including produce, meat & dairy, food, cold drinks, Snap and SFC Double Dollars, beautiful gifts, and great live music! Always FREE, always fun! HOPE Farmers Market, 412 Comal St, Austin.
- Chihuahua Day – Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. In honor of Frida Kahlo’s favorite furry friend, Mexic-Arte Museum will be hosting a workshop centered around chihuahuas! Monica and Sergio Lejarazu from Jumpolin Piñatas will lead a workshop session with Museum visitors, teaching them how to make their very own chihuahuas. Visitors are encouraged to bring back their creations as part of the grand procession at Viva la Vida Festival and Parade on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017. Admission is FREE! Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Nurture My Child Family Fair – Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. Head to this FREE family-friendly, community focused event for parents from Austin and the surrounding areas. The event allows families to interact with local camps, classes, schools, and vendors. There will be FREE parenting talks and FREE kids activities–including yoga with Bliss Kid Yoga and an interactive music show by Songs for Seeds Band! Plus, Nurture My Child is partnering with Pop Up Birthday to collect donations for Austin area foster children. Bring donations of new pajamas or children’s books and be entered to win prizes — the event will feature more than $1000 worth of prizes and giveaways! FREE! Norris Conference Center, 2200 E 6th St, Austin.
- Community Art Sundays – Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. Come this month to harvest community through creativity and art. This event is FREE and for all ages. FREE workshops, interactives, children’s yoga in Spanish, creative activities for kids, live music, meal planning and crop growing education, and more! There will also be FREE snacks, coffee, and beer. Admission is FREE! Center for Creative Action, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg B, Austin.
- Ashley’s Playhouse Fall Festival – Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. Fall is back, and so is the annual Fall Festival at Ashley’s Playhouse! There will be a pirate ship carnival swing as well as a rock wall and pirate bounce house! The event is FREE and open to the public. Ashley’s Playhouse, 13343 US-183 #200, Austin, TX 78750, Austin.
- Hush Hush Music Bash w/Koo Koo Kanga Roo and More! – Sunday from 3 to 6 p.m. Kids and adults of all ages will be movin’ and groovin’ at the Hush Hush Music Bash, a FREE family-friendly event that will take place at The Domain. For those who can’t make it to ACL Music Festival and have FOMO (fear of missing out), Hush Hush is the perfect way to get your live music fix while preparing your kids to be future festival-goers in a smaller, more intimate setting. Live music performances by Riders Against the Storm, Superfun Yeah Yeah Rocketship, and Koo Koo Kanga Roo! There will be kids activities, giveaways, a dance contest, an obstacle course, and more. FREE! The Domain II – Amy Donovan Plaza (near iPic Theater), 11410 Century Oaks Terrace, Austin.
- Fairytale Threads – Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fairytale Threads is Austin’s own consignment event, held several times throughout the year, designed to turn clutter into cash and give you the opportunity to shop new and gently loved items for great prices. Find clothes for newborns-kid’s 16, Jr. sizes & Prom wear, maternity, books, gear and toys for kids, babies and toddlers and teens. Admission is FREE! Austin Sports Center South, 425 Woodward St, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- Oktoberfest 2017 – Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Come and enjoy a Biergarten, German Food, Live Music on Stage, and Kids Entertainment at the Annual Authentic German Oktoberfest. Bring your Lederhosen and Dirndel! Austin Polka Band, Yodel Blitz, The Siekers, and the Czechaholics will be performing. Frank’s will serve German food and of course there will be German Beer on tap. Kinder fun will include a book reading and workshop from Anke Bär, an award winning children’s book author and illustrator from German on her debut Texas tour, story telling with Mr. Rudy, pumpkin painting, bounce house, and more. Adult tickets are $7 if purchased online, kids 12 and under are FREE! The German Free School at the German-Texan Heritage Society, 507 E 10th St, Austin.
- 1/2 Off For Early Birds at Sweet Berry Farms Harvest of Fall Fun (Marble Falls) – Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. A visit to Sweet Berry Farms is a fall tradition in this area! They have hayrides, corn mazes, a pumpkin patch, wildflower picking, pumpkin painting, scarecrow painting, barrel trains, and more! Admission is FREE, you only pay for the activities you choose to do. This Saturday, the early birds gets the worm – save 50% off some of the most popular activities with this coupon (valid Saturdays 8:30-9:30 a.m. only). Tip: Credit cards are not accepted, cash and check only. Sweet Berry Farm, 1801 FM 1980, Marble Falls.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Octoberfest featuring Rick Trevino (Burnet) – Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. This all-day festival features artist demos, food and vendors, a classic car show, kids activities, face painting, rock climbing, a silent auction, and lots of live music, including Rick Trevino! As a part of the festival, also enjoy Fort Croghan Day, where visitors may cook, make baskets, eat warm biscuits, ground corn meal, create rope, make a corn husk doll and/or stitch a quilt with early pioneers and settlers scattered among the cabins and fort grounds and interact with soldiers of the Civil War era. FREE! View full schedule here. City of Burnet, 1001 Buchanan Drive, Suite 4, Burnet.
Love These Free Austin Events? You May Also Be Interested In:
- Día De Los Muertos Events In Austin 2017
- Where To Find Pumpkin Patches in Austin And Beyond: 2017 Edition
- You Won’t Want To Miss These 30+ FREE Fall Festivals In Austin (And Beyond)!
- It’s TEMPO Time! Don’t Miss These Temporary Outdoor Artworks By Austin Area Artists
- 35 FREE Don’t Miss October Events in Austin
- Top Spots For Stargazing In And Around Austin