- Shakespeare at the Market: Love’s Labour’s Lost (RSVP) – Friday, May 8, Saturday, May 9 and Sunday, May 10 at 6:30 p.m. Present Company, in partnership with Whole Foods Market, presents the second annual Shakespeare at the Market on the rooftop of the downtown Austin Whole Foods Market. Seating and music begin at 6:30 for a 7:00 p.m. performance. Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket or short chair, and grab picnic goodies before the show. Promoting the philosophy of “accessible and sustainable art,” Shakespeare at the Market is a FREE event, however a $15-20 donation is suggested for guests able to support. Reserve your tickets here. Whole Foods, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- The Taming of the Shrew – Friday, May 8, Saturday, May 9 and Sunday, May 10 at 8:00 p.m. From the battle of the sexes to the marriage of true minds, Austin Shakespeare transforms The Taming of the Shrew to Austin of the 1890s, where city folk and cowboys collide. Bring a picnic and a blanket and enjoy Shakespeare under the beautiful evening skies across from Barton Springs Pool. Featuring Gwendolyn Kelso as Kate and Marc Pouhé as Petruchio. Post show audience/actor discussions after each performance. Presented by The City of Austin in coordination with Austin Shakespeare. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Family Day at the Ransom Center – Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Visit Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and enjoy activities for the young and young at heart. Participate in writing activities with teaching artists from Austin Public Library Friends Foundation’s Badgerdog Creative Writing Program or engage with Lewis Carroll-inspired math activities with local math literacy organization Math Happens. Additional activities include docent-led exhibition tours and story times in the theater. Harry Ransom Center, 300 W 21st St, Austin.
- West Austin Studio Tour – Saturday, May 9 and Sunday, May 10 from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Big Medium presents the 4th West Austin Studio Tour! WEST is an annual, self-guided art event occurring over two weekends in May, providing the public with an opportunity to meet the makers: the local artists and artisans who leave a lasting imprint on Austin’s vibrant, dynamic culture. Tour-goers are invited to discover new artistic talent, see working studios, learn about artists’ tools, techniques, and inspirations, and explore unique exhibition spaces and local businesses. See Nicole’s top picks for family friendly stops. FREE! Locations vary.
- 38th Annual O.Henry Pun-Off World Championships – Saturday, May 9 from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. Jest for a Wordy Cause! Enjoy live music, food and drink, a used book sale, souvenir t-shirts and more. FREE! O. Henry Museum (outside), 409 E 5th St, Austin.
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum – Saturday, May 9 and Sunday, May 10 from 12-4 p.m. The UMLAUF will offer FREE admission this weekend and next. UMLAUF, 605 Robert E. Road, Austin.
- Rendez Vous at Central Market North – Sunday, May 10 from 12-3 p.m. Bring your mother and enjoy the sounds of Julie Slim‘s French Jazz band! FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Music Under the Star – Sunday, May 10 from 4-7:30 p.m. Celebrate Mother’s day with a FREE concert of strong female musicians at the Bullock Museum. Enjoy music in the Rotunda with Corrina Rachel, followed by music on the Plaza by The Bluebonnets and Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Mother’s Day Concert at the Capitol – Sunday, May 10 at 7 p.m. What better way to close out a great day with Mom than by taking her to a FREE concert in her honor? The Austin Symphonic Band will perform well-known tunes, including marches and musical numbers, that you and your mom are sure to enjoy! Get there early to select the best seating… this concert gets more popular every year. FREE! South Steps of the Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Rising Stars Concert – Sunday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m. The Austin Civic Orchestra returns to Bates Recital Hall at the University of Texas for the 3rd annual Texas Rising Stars Concert. The concert combines the best of the Austin community orchestras with the best from the Butler School of Music string studios in a collaborative concert, FREE of charge to the Austin community. Bates Recital Hall, 2406 Robert Dedman Drive, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Fairytale Threads (Cedar Park) – Friday, May 8 from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Shop for spring and summer clothes in maternity and newborn-youth 16 sizes, toys, books, DVDs and gear. On Saturday, many items will be 50% off. Admission and Parking are FREE! Austin Sports Center, 1420 Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
Movies in the Park: Big Hero 6 (Leander) – Friday, May 8 at 7:30 p.m. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions are also available. FREE! Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S Bagdad Rd, Leander.Canceled due to weather.
- Dia de los Madres (Round Rock) – Saturday, May 9 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. The Williamson County Hispanic Heritage Committee, Univision 62 Austin, Round Rock Ballet Folklorico, and the City of Round Rock present a Mother’s Day event at Prete Plaza. The event features a performance by The Biscuit Brothers. Other performers include the Hopewell Middle School mariachi group, the Isaac Sisters and Round Rock Ballet Folklorico. Activities include: arts and crafts for kids, a chance to take pictures with mom, and free carnations for mothers. The event promises to be full of music and fun for the entire family! FREE! Prete Plaza, 221 East Main Street, Round Rock.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: Jesse Dayton (Bee Cave) – Saturday, May 9 from 7-9 p.m. Enjoy Saturday nights outdoors with live music, FREE kids activities and great shopping! The music begins at 7 p.m. in the Hill Country Galleria’s outdoor amphitheater. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this FREE event every Saturday night! Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors! Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
You may also be interested in: