- Art After Six – Friday from 6-8:00 p.m. Stop by The People’s Gallery at City Hall for extended gallery hours and talks by artists from the 2016 exhibition. Artist talks begin at 6:15 p.m. in the Boards & Commissions room. The gallery will be open for self-guided tours of artworks on display on the first three floors. Pick up a gallery guide on the first floor. Featured artists: Cindy Debold, Kat Kohl, Scott Rolfe. FREE! Austin City Hall, 301 W 2nd St, Austin.
- Shakespeare in Zilker Park: Macbeth – Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 8:00 p.m. This is the final weekend of FREE Shakespeare in Zilker Park, featuring a military-themed version of Shakespeare’s supernatural story of ambition gone awry. Audiences are encouraged to bring blankets and picnics. Admission is FREE! Weather updates are posted here beginning at 4:00 p.m. on the day of the performance. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Close Assault 1944 – Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Remember the true meaning of Memorial Day with this stirring look back at World War II. Close Assault 1944 honors the service and sacrifice of America’s veterans by focusing on the history of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard during World War II. Show times are at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. both days. The 45,000 square-foot Texas Military Forces Museum will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the weekend and on Memorial Day. Both the program and admission to the museum are FREE! Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin.
- Big Don Kids’ Show – Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Award-winning Hip Hop artist Big Don’s music focuses on the positive and inspiring aspects of what kids embrace about life. FREE! Strange Brew, 5326 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Our Great Big Backyard Storytime – Saturday at 11:00 a.m. To help commemorate the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service, this special storytime explores Our Great Big Backyard. #1 New York Times bestselling authors former First Lady Laura Bush and her daughter Jenna Bush Hager have created an exuberant picture book tribute to our national parks and the importance of connecting with nature. Coloring and activities to follow. FREE! All local Barnes & Noble stores.
- Monkeys and Gorillas Storytime – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Monkeys are great! They eat loads of bananas and bugs, can swing from trees by their tails, and make for interesting, curious sidekicks in movies. Since we all love to celebrate our inner monkeys, BookPeople is having a storytime all about them. Enjoy a reading of Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb along with other super duper stories that will leave you wanting to swing from trees and eat bananas too. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: High Plains Jamboree (Bee Cave) – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Browse the vendors, order to-go food and have it delivered to your spot on the lawn, and enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors. FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
- Staci Gray Live at the Public Domain – Sunday from 2-4:00 p.m. Grab the family for a kid-friendly live music performance on the Public Domain outdoor stage, right behind the mini play area. FREE! Whole Foods Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- The Art Garage’s 5th Birthday Party – Sunday from 2-5:00 p.m. Celebrate with tons of FREE fun including a petting zoo, face painting, arts and crafts, tattoos and hair paint, cake and refreshments, door prizes, and more. RSVP is appreciated here. The Art Garage, 11190 Circle Dr, Ste 202, Austin.
- Free Admission to the LBJ Presidential Library – Monday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish that the Library be available to all, the LBJ Presidential Library offers FREE admission on Memorial Day. LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
Woodland Faerie Trail – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. The award-winning, 4th annual Woodland Faerie Trail features faerie homes and gardens created by Austin area gardeners, architects, artisans, businesses, clubs, families, and school groups. FREE with Garden admission, which is $1-3 (for ages 3+). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Memorial Day Austin Flea Extravaganza – Saturday from 1-6:00 p.m. The Flea features all local handmade items and vintage wares from some of Austin’s most amazing and talented vendors. Find one-of-a-kind gifts for any occasion including jewelry, bath/body products, vintage, original artwork, paper goods, textiles, and so much more. Handmade. Vintage. Local. Entrance is open to all ages and FREE! Austin Beerworks, 3009 Industrial Terrace, Ste 150, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Star Party (Cedar Park) – Friday at 8:00 p.m. Star gaze on a state-of-the art computer guided telescope. View through the telescope, take telescope assisted photos with your smartphone, and learn major stars and constellation positions along with the planets and moons. Learn how to read a star map, and much more. Weather permitting. FREE! Texas Museum of Science & Technology, 1220 Toro Grande Dr, Cedar Park.
- Local Biz Fair (Round Rock) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Bring the kids to play for FREE while you check out what the local business community has to offer. Safari Champ, 1400 E Old Settlers Blvd # 200, Round Rock.
- Movie in the Park: Top Gun (Hutto) – Saturday at 8:45 p.m. Bring your chairs, blankets, coolers, and popcorn to enjoy a movie under the stars. Movie starts at sundown. Rated PG. FREE! Fritz Park, 400 Park Ave, Hutto.
You may also be interested in: