There’s a little something FREE for everyone this holiday weekend. Shopping events? Yes! Art? Definitely! Music? Of course! There’s even a fun event for your dog! Plus, we’ve got Memorial Day events to commemorate the reason for the holiday.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Rockin’ Dudz Consignment Event – Friday and Saturday from 9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. and 5-8:00 p.m. Rockin’ Dudz is a seasonal consignment event that features quality, gently-used or new kids and maternity clothing. Parking and admission are FREE! Frank Fickett Boy Scout Center, 12500 North IH-35, Austin.
- The Art Garage’s 6th Birthday Celebration – Friday from 4-7:00 p.m. Celebrate the 6th anniversary of the Art Garage’s studio location with spin art, specials, prizes, treats, and beverages. FREE fun for the whole family! The Art Garage, 11190 Circle Dr, Ste 202, Austin.
- B*Tru Arts & All Rhythms’ Student Showcase – Friday from 4-7:00 p.m. The public is invited to view artistic work from B*Tru Arts & All Rhythms’ students, along with solo performers and special guest Heidi Little. FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- HOPE Night Market – Friday from 7-10:00 p.m. Join the HOPE community for food, artisans, live music, and fun for the whole family. There will be free yoga with Chakra Kids, a hooping contest, face painting, and a Doodle Jam where you can draw and chat with some local artists. Admission is FREE! Plaza Saltillo, 412 Comal St, Austin.
- Shakespeare in Zilker Park: Comedy of Errors – Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 8:00 p.m. This is the final weekend of Shakespeare in Zilker Park featuring Comedy of Errors, a fast-paced tale of mistaken identities where two pairs of twins reunite amid a tangle of crazy comic characters. Audiences are encouraged to bring blankets and picnics. Admission is FREE! Weather updates are posted here beginning at 4:00 p.m. on the day of the performance. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Close Assault 1944 – Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Remember the true meaning of Memorial Day with this stirring look back at World War II. Close Assault 1944 honors the service and sacrifice of America’s veterans by focusing on the history of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard during World War II. Show times are at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. both days. The 45,000 square-foot Texas Military Forces Museum will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the weekend and on Memorial Day. Both the program and admission to the museum are FREE! Rain or shine. Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin.
- Dog Extravaganza – Saturday from noon to 2:00 p.m. This event is dedicated to our furry family members. Join the Metz staff for a day in the park filled with fun games and activities designed especially for your pet. Mix and mingle with other pups, enter to win door prizes, enjoy FREE snacks and samples, and compete in doggie games and contests. Winners will get prize baskets, so don’t miss out on the fun. FREE! Metz Recreation Center, 2407 Canterbury St, Austin.
- Saturday Night Concert Series: Sour Bridges – Saturday at 7:00 p.m. The Sour Bridges concert will take place in the Central Plaza on the pavers in front of the Library. The lawn will be closed during this show, so please bring folding chairs. Bring your family and friends, browse the vendors, order to-go food and have it delivered to your spot, and enjoy FREE kids’ activities like face painting or balloon twisters. Arrive early to ensure you get a FREE swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors. FREE! Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Bee Cave.
- Bring the Sing Karaoke – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Calling all future Bellas and their embarrassing parents! Take over the Barrel O’ Fun for onstage karaoke with a full catalog of more than 8,000 songs. There will be props to take it to the next level and onstage challenges for the very brave of heart. If you’ve dreamed of being in Pitch Perfect or killing it at the school talent show, this party is for you. Kids 13 and under must be accompanied by a parent but teens are welcome to come solo. FREE! Barrel O’ Fun, 1911 Aldrich St, Ste 120, Austin.
- Free Admission to the LBJ Presidential Library – Monday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish that the Library be available to all, the LBJ Presidential Library offers FREE admission on Memorial Day. LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
Woodland Faerie Trail – Saturday, and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. The award-winning, 5th annual Woodland Faerie Trail features faerie homes and gardens created by Austin area gardeners, architects, artisans, businesses, clubs, families, and school groups. Explore the abodes of the faeries and gnomes along the Woodland Faerie Trail through the escarpment pathway and see who is home. FREE with Garden admission, which is $1-3 (for ages 3+). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
More Fun Beyond Austin:
- Sunset Block Party Bash (Hutto) – Friday from 5-10:00 p.m. The City of Hutto is excited to announce a new twist on a previous event. What was formerly the Sunset Music Series is now Sunset Block Party Bash. This new event will include live music by Robynn Shayne and Weldon Henson, food trucks, kid/family activities, artisan and craft vendors, and more. FREE! The Gin at the Co-Op District, 420 US 79, Hutto.
- Treaty Oak Rod Run (Dripping Springs) – Monday from noon to 9:00 p.m. Treaty Oak Brewing & Distilling and Austin Speed Shop are teaming up to host this family-friendly event featuring hot rods and vintage cars on display, a special menu, craft cocktails, beer, and live music by Max Baca & Los Texmaniacs, Palamino Shakedown, and Marshall Ford Swing Band. FREE! Treaty Oak Brewing & Distilling, 16604 Fitzhugh Rd, Dripping Springs.