- The Taming of the Shrew – Friday, May 22, Saturday, May 23 and Sunday, May 24 at 8:00 p.m. This is the final weekend to see Austin Shakespeare perform The Taming of the Shrew with a cowboy twist. Bring a picnic and a blanket, and enjoy Shakespeare under the stars. Featuring Gwendolyn Kelso as Kate and Marc Pouhé as Petruchio. Post show audience/actor discussions after each performance. Presented by The City of Austin in coordination with Austin Shakespeare. Check Facebook for weather updates. FREE! Bring $5 for parking in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Memorial Day Celebration (Hutto) –
Friday, May 22 andSaturday, May 23. Enjoy a FREE screening of Paddington on Friday at sundown (about 8:30 p.m.). Then, return on Saturday for a summer celebration you won’t soon forget! Enjoy activities, live music, food trucks, fun times, fireworks, and a screening of the movie Grease!FREE! Fritz Park, 400 Park Avenue, Hutto. Update: The 5K and cook-off are still happening, but everything else has been canceled due to the weather.
- Close Assault 1944 – Saturday, May 23 and Sunday, May 24 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Remember the true meaning of Memorial Day with this stirring look back at World War II. Close Assault 1944 honors the service and sacrifice of America’s veterans by focusing on the history of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard during World War II. The free program, now in its eighth year, features members of the Texas Military Forces Living History Detachment exhibiting the uniform and equipment worn by the American GI in the European Theater of the Second World War, as well as those of his German opponent. In addition, the two-day event will provide guests the opportunity to witness firing demonstrations of the most famous U.S. and German small arms of World War II, as well as see everything from tents and radio equipment to GI baseball gloves and mess kits and operational vehicles such as an M4 Sherman Tank, M3 Halftrack and Jeeps. Show times at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. both days. Both the program and admission to the museum are FREE. Camp Mabry is open to the public; adults will need to show a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or a military ID to come on post. Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin.
- SFC Farmers Market Downtown – Saturday, May 23 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. This market started in 2003 and is the queen bee of the SFC Farmers’ Market system. Featuring dozens of farmers and award-winning food artisans, this market is a must see for newcomers and regulars. Situated in the picturesque Republic Square Park and on the new cosmopolitan Federal Courthouse Plaza, there is a café under the Auction Oak, live music, and plenty of room to roam. Kids will enjoy building with Imagination Playground. Read about Heidi’s experience here. FREE! Open year-round, rain or shine. Republic Square, 422 Guadalupe Street, Austin.
- Batty for BookKids Storytime – Saturday, May 23 at 11:30 a.m. Enjoy a reading of Bats at the Library, along with other batty tales just for fun. Plus, make your very own bat wings! FREE! BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Two Tons of Steel at Hill Country Galleria (Bee Cave) – Saturday, May 23 from 7-9 p.m. Bring your family, friends, and a blanket to lounge on the grassy lawn during the show. Enjoy free kids activities like face painting or balloon twisters! Arrive early to ensure you get a free swag bag filled with fun items and discounts from the Hill Country Galleria merchants and sponsors! FREE! Hill Country Galleria’s outdoor amphitheater. Check the Facebook page for weather updates. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
- The Grove Music Series at Southpark Meadows – Saturday, May 23 from 7-10 p.m. Enjoy a FREE concert with local solo artist Jimmie Dreams. Pick up a backstage pass savings card and present it to save at participating Southpark Meadows retailers and eateries. The card is available at Amy’s Ice Creams, Mama Fu’s, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Quiznos, Reel Popcorn, Sport Clips and Waterloo Ice House. Check Facebook for weather updates. (Southpark Meadows, IH35 & Slaughter Lane, Austin)
- Music Under the Star – Sunday, May 24 from 4-7:30 p.m. Bring your family, a picnic dinner, and a blanket or chairs to the Bullock Texas State History Museum every Sunday in May to enjoy FREE concerts presented by the American Federation of Musicians. This week is Beto y los Fairlanes, Javier Chaparro and Salud, and Aaron Lack. All concerts are FREE, family-friendly and highlight local musical talent. Each concert starts at 4 p.m. in the museum rotunda with performances outside in the Lone Star Plaza beginning at 5 p.m. Doors open at 3:30 p.m. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Free Admission to the LBJ Library – Monday, May 25 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Celebrate President Johnson’s wish for the LBJ Library to “be available to all” with FREE admission on Memorial Day. LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
- A Cappella Texas at the Capitol – Monday, May 25 at noon. Join A Cappella Texas at the Texas State Capitol for patriotic and inspiring tunes offered in honor of our armed forces. This event is FREE and open to the general public. Texas State Capitol, 1100 Congress Avenue, Austin.
You may also be interested in: