Daylight savings begins Sunday, March 8 at 2 a.m. Don’t forget to spring forward!
- Amreeka Film Screening – Friday, March 6 at 7 p.m. Cannes award-winning film about a proud Palestinian Christian mother and her teenage son in a small Indiana town. Opening remarks by Dr. Susan Mays, LBJ School of Public Affairs at UT Austin. Rated PG. View the trailer here. FREE popcorn. Additional food and beverage available for purchase. FREE! Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Rd, Austin.
- Home Depot Kids Workshop – Saturday, March 7, from 9 a.m. – noon. Head to a Home Depot near you to learn how to build a pair of bookends with sports or flowers stickers! This FREE hands-on workshop is designed for children ages 5 – 12. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin, while supplies last.
- Celebration of Urban Birds – Saturday, March 7, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Join the Austin Nature & Science Center for a celebration of urban birds with FREE activities for the entire family, including live bird demonstrations, expert lectures, kids’ bird drawing, hands-on crafts and activities, a bird scavenger hunt and more! Austin Nature & Science Center, 2389 Stratford Drive, Austin.
- Explore UT – Saturday, March 7, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Families are invited to attend the annual open house at the University of Texas at Austin, to take part in science and engineering experiments, plus art, history, communication, business, law, and other activities–nearly 400 in all–and expand their horizons about college and careers. Explore UT is FREE and open to everyone. Activities are designed for all students K-12, including Gifted and Talented, STEM, AVID, and CIS. No registration for individuals is required. Just go to the activities of your choice! Click here for the Schedule of Activities. Plus, enjoy FREE admission to the following museums thanks to Explore UT:
- Texas Memorial Museum – Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be special activities for kids to enjoy starting at 11 a.m. Create your own science inspired arts and crafts; bring your fossil finds to the Paleo Lab for identification by a paleontologist; learn about the science of paleontology, and how fossils are important for our understanding of biodiversity and environmental change. Texas Memorial Museum, 2400 Trinity Street, Austin.
- Blanton Museum of Art – Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy the Museum’s new exhibitions and educational art activities for FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E. MLK Blvd. (at MLK and Congress), Austin.
- LBJ Presidential Library – Saturday, from 11 a.m. – 4:40 p.m. Watch a Pollyanna Theater Company performance of Liberty! Equality! And Fireworks! from 11–11:40 a.m. in the LBJ Auditorium. LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River Street, Austin.
Bonus event that is worth the drive:
- Wimberley Market Days – Saturday, March 7, from 7 a.m. – 4 p.m., Wimberley hosts the oldest outdoor market in the Texas Hill Country and the second-largest in the state with over 475 booths of everything you can’t live without. Come stroll the tree-shaded paths, listen to live music and shop to your heart’s content. FREE Admission! Directions.
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Enjoying SXSW 2015 with the Family
- Spring Break Movies at Alamo Drafthouse
- Don’t Miss Events in March
- Free Indoor Family Fun in Austin
- Faerie Homes Return to Zilker Botanical Garden
- Giveaway: Comedy Spartans at Austin’s Park
- Kiddie Academy of Pflugerville Grand Opening
And of course you can find much more on our Free Fun Calendar. Have a great weekend!