- KGSR and Family Eldercare’s Fan Fare Friday – Friday, June 20, from 7:00 a.m. to midnight. Stop by and drop off a fan or a donation to help kick-off Family Eldercare’s Summer Fan Drive! This “fan”tastic day is filled with family fun, live music, great food and helps generate critical support for the Fan Drive and Family Eldercare’s core services. There will be a Threadgill Pancake Pileup, crafts and entertainment for the kids, including live music from The Biscuit Brothers (9:30 – 11:30 a.m.), a gaming station and more. Live music is planned all day, be sure to check the schedule for performance times. Pancakes and entertainment are FREE with the donation of a new fan (or a $15 donation). Threadgill’s South, 301 West Riverside Drive, Austin.
- Alamo Kids Camp – Friday, June 20, Saturday, June 21, and Sunday, June 22. Showtimes vary. See Mary Poppins (Slaughter Lane), Space Jam (Village), or Curious George (Lakeline). All Alamo Kids Camp screenings are FREE! Tickets are available at the box office on the day of the show, and seating is first come, first served. Only children age 3 and up are permitted to attend. Participating locations: Alamo Slaughter Lane, 5701 W. Slaughter Lane, Austin; Alamo Drafthouse Village, 2700 West Anderson Ln, Austin, and Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin.
- Movies at the Pool: Finding Nemo – Friday, June 20 at 6:00 p.m. Bring your whole family to lie out on blankets under the night sky. Food trucks available from 6-8:00 p.m. Finding Nemo begins at dusk. Rated G. The movie event is FREE and open to everyone, however if you enter the gates before the movie time you will have to pay the daily drop-in fee. El Salido Pool, 11500 El Salido Parkway Austin.
- Juneteenth Rhythm and Ribs Festival (Round Rock) – Friday, June 20 from 7:30-11:30 p.m. The festivities begin with a headlining music performance by DJ Cut Creator. The celebration continues on Saturday, June 21. At 3 p.m., the opening welcome from Round Rock Mayor kicks off the day’s festivities. The entertainment on Saturday includes the headliner, Funk Mob. There will also be a health fair, carnival rides, clowns, games, food, retail vendors, and more. Admission and parking are FREE! Old Settlers Park, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Romeo and Juliet (Round Rock) – Friday, June 20 and Saturday, June 21 at 8 p.m. Performances take place in the amphitheater of the Centennial Plaza. Audiences are welcome to bring their own food and drink, or to purchase snacks from the concessions tent. Recommended for middle school ages and up. FREE, but donations are appreciated. Round Rock Amphitheater, 301 W Bagdad Ave, Round Rock.
- Champions Day at Hawaiian Falls (Pflugerville) – Saturday, June 21 at 8:30 a.m. Hawaiian Falls water park in Pflugerville will host Champions Day for individuals with special needs. The “Champions” (special needs individuals of any age) get in FREE. Family members can purchase discounted tickets for $5 each (regular admission is $26.99) with a Champions Day coupon, available for download here. No proof of disability is required. Special needs families will have exclusive access and use of the park from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Hawaiian Falls Pflugerville will open on this day to the public 10:30 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. The Champions and caregivers can stay all day at no extra charge. To be sensitive to the Champions’ special needs, Hawaiian Falls turns down the music, adds more staff to assist families, and asks lifeguards to be thoughtful about using their whistles only when absolutely necessary. Hawaiian Falls, 18500 Southbound Service Road, Texas 130, Pflugerville.
- Juneteenth Historical Parade and Celebration – Saturday, June 21 at 10:00 a.m. The Juneteenth Committee’s events culminate with a historical parade at 10 a.m. at Comal Street and MLK Boulevard. Then, head to Rosewood Park for a celebration from noon- 8:00 p.m. FREE! Rosewood Park, 2300 Rosewood Avenue, Austin.
- Summer Jam 2014 – Saturday, June 21, from 3:00- 6:00 p.m. Keeping with the Austin Music Map tradition of featuring the city’s best kept musical secrets, Summer Jam will showcase three very different genres of music: Afro-Latin, Cajun and Psych-Dub. 3 p.m.: Gumbo Ce Soir; 4 p.m.: Cilantro Boombox featuring Gina Chavez; 5 p.m.: Holiday Mountain. Summer Jam is FREE and open to the public. This is an all-ages event. The ABGB, 1305 West Oltorf Street, Austin.
- Music for Kids: Lucas Miller – Sunday, June 22 at 2:00 p.m. The Music Division of the City of Austin offers a spectacular music series for families featuring a variety of Austin singer-songwriters. Lucas Miller, The Singing Zoologist, will perform a show for kids ages 5 and up. Seating is limited. Please arrive a few minutes early to gain entrance. Note that in some locations, free tickets (available in the branch on the day of the program) will be required for admittance in order to ensure safety. For groups of five or more children, please call the branch and ask to speak with the Youth Librarian to make arrangements. FREE! Faulk Central Library, 800 Guadalupe Street, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” – Sunday, June 22 at 7:30 p.m. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. On Sunday, you can enjoy the Strings ensemble. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
More summer fun:
- Deep Eddy Movie Nights
- Free Movie Mondays at Amy’s Ice Creams
- 1968 Exhibit at The Bullock (and giveaway!)
- Free Magic Shows at Highland Mall
- Pick Your Own Peaches in Fredericksburg
- Tips for Visiting the Boardwalk Trail
- Circle C Park in South Austin
- Toy Store Feature: Terra Toys
Check out our Free Fun Calendar for even more family-friendly events happening around town!