- Faces & Places of Asia Opening Reception – Friday, January 9 from 6-8 p.m. Rama Tiru has traveled around the world and she believes her journey is ever evolving. This solo exhibition beckons viewers to join in this journey, to soak in an expansive visual display of the Asian continent. Tiru hopes the features of the faraway, both soil and society, will conjure memories of home for Asian immigrants and spark an interest in the minds of young Asian Americans and others to learn about places they may have never been but may now want to go. Refreshments provided. FREE! Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Rd, Austin.
- Hands on History: National Hobby Month (Georgetown) – Saturday, January 10 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. What is a Thaumatrope? Learn about hobbies and toys of the past in celebration of National Hobby Month. Children will make their very own artwork to create a Thaumatrope. FREE! The Williamson Museum, 716 S. Austin Avenue, Georgetown.
- Lonestar Dance Center FREE Day of Dance (Pflugerville) – Saturday, January 10 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Thinking of signing your child up for dance classes? This is a great opportunity to let them try a class for FREE. Door prizes, complimentary breakfast, and more! See the schedule. Lonestar Dance Center, 2606 FM 1825, Pflugerville.
Leer y Crear: Family Story Time – Saturday, January 10 at 10:30 a.m. The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center is proud to offer Leer y Crear, a bilingual story time for families, on a monthly basis. A story is read in an interactive setting and following the reading participants will be lead through a themed art activity related to the story. This program is FREE and all ages are welcome. On Saturday, the story will be The Bakery Lady by Pat Mora. ESB-MACC, 600 River St, Austin.This event has been canceled due to weather.
- Free Craft at Lakeshore Learning: Sweet Dream Catcher – Saturday, January 10 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Children age 3 and up are invited to stop by anytime to make a FREE craft! Lakeshore Learning, 9828 Great Hills Trail, Austin.
- BookKids Storytime: Paramount Theater Sneak Peek – Saturday, January 10 at 11:30 a.m. Join guests from the Paramount/Stateside Theaters for a sneak peek of their new show, The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley! Stanley Lambchop is just like everyone else, but one night he makes a wish…and it comes true! In a whirlwind musical travelogue, Stanley – the ultimate exchange student – scours the globe to do something the world has never seen before, and learns that heroes come in all shapes and sizes. This show not only celebrates literacy and writing, but teaches young people about traveling the world and seeing what lies beyond their front doors! There will be stories, a Flat Stanley-making craft, and a drawing for tickets to the show – oh boy! Don’t miss it! FREE! BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- Groundwork Music Orchestra at Cherrywood – Sunday, January 11 at 10:30 a.m. Join Groundwork Music’s fun concert for kids! FREE! You may want to call (512) 538-1991 before heading over there, to make sure there have been no changes due to weather. Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 East 38th 1/2 Street, Austin.
- Ballet Austin’s Get Fit 2015 – Sunday, January 11 from 1:30-5:30 p.m. Kick the new year off with a FREE workout. This is your opportunity to sample conditioning and fitness classes, try the Pilates reformers, learn more about living healthy in 2015, and have fun! Drop-ins are welcome. Signing up ahead of time enters you into an exclusive Get Fit prize drawing! FREE classes at Get Fit include: Arms & Abs, Ballet Fit, Ballet/Yoga Fit, Better Balance & Movement, Bollywood Fitness, Cardio Dance & Tone, CardioPOP! Top 40’s Dance Fitness, Feldenkrais®, Foam Roller Stretch, Lower Body Workout, Pilates Ballet Barre Booty Workout, New Year’s Resolution Body Burn Workout, Pilates Cardio, Pilates Mat Workout, Stretch & Tone, Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Yoga 101, Zumba®, and Zumba Gold®. Family classes include Zumba® for Families, Family Lion King Yoga, and Family World Dance. Ballet Austin’s Butler Dance Education Center, 501 W. 3rd Street, Austin.
- Free Family Fun at Art Garage – Sunday, January 11 from 2-4 p.m. Enjoy some awesome Frozen-themed winter crafts, as well as specials on featured in-studio art projects. Drop in anytime between 2 and 4 pm to participate and yes, Queen Elsa will be in attendance! FREE! The Art Garage, 11190 Circle Drive, Suite 202, Austin.
- Sunday Funday with Staci Gray (Round Rock) – Sunday, January 11 from 3-4:30 p.m. Join Staci Gray for some old fashioned fun at BabyEarth! Activities may include kiddie crafts, musical instruments, blocks, a parachute and more! The concert starts at 4 p.m. FREE! BabyEarth, 106 East Old Settlers Boulevard D-100, Round Rock.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Free Indoor Fun in Austin
- Teen Itinerary for a Day of Fun in Austin
- Budget-Friendly Sporting Events with the Family
- …and more on our Free Fun Calendar!
And don’t forget to enter our giveaways: