- Planet Music: Dance Around the World – Friday, January 23 from 7-9 p.m. Dance Around the World will feature the Manjani West African Dance Group, The Love of China, Ballet Folklorico MariCruz, and Austin International Folk Dancers. The evening will include a folk fashion show of traditional costumes and dance lessons interspersed between performances. Family friendly and FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Community Movie Night: Frozen – Friday, January 23 at 7 p.m. Bring your chairs, blankets, or sleeping bags to enjoy an indoor screening of the movie Frozen. FREE admission and pizza! The Fellowship at Scofield Farms, 12424 Scofield Farms Dr, Austin.
- Tree Talk Winter Walk – Saturday, January 24, from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Celebrate Texas trees at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center while learning about trees for your yard, ideal trees for wildlife, and tree care. The Wildflower Center will offer guided walks and lots of family-friendly activities including a Kids’ Tree Climb, shelter building with tree branches, a marshmallow roast and bonfire, swinging in the Cathedral of Oaks, and a tree scavenger hunt. TreeFolks is providing native tree saplings to those who complete the scavenger hunt. FREE! Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Contemporary Austin – Saturday, January 24; hours vary. Enjoy FREE admission at both the Jones Center (700 Congress Avenue) and Laguna Gloria (3809 West 35th Street) locations to celebrate the opening of the new exhibition featuring Tom Sachs: Boombox Retrospective 1999-2015 and JJ PEET: BRAIN to HAND to OBJECT_. At 1 p.m., head to the Villa at Laguna Gloria for a playful conversation between artists Tom Sachs, JJ PEET, and curator Heather Pesanti. Bring your own handmade cup and tea will be served! At 2 p.m., head to the Gatehouse to JJ PEET’s BARTER_STATION where you may offer services (preferred) or goods in exchange for one of nine PROXY_CUPs. Offers will be considered, but not all will be accepted.
- Austin Family Camp Fair – Saturday, January 24, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Head to this annual camp fair for FREE entertainment, giveaways, and fun! Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Road, Austin.
- Frozen Extravaganza (Pflugerville) – Saturday, January 24, from 1-4 p.m. Enjoy fun crafts and activities, including a photo booth with Elsa, Pin the Carrot on Olaf, and a Frozen Trivia Contest. The movie sing-along will start at 2:15 pm. Space is limited for the movie so be sure to arrive early. FREE! Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 W. Pfluger Street, Pflugerville.
- Mr. Will Kids’ Show – Sunday, January 25, from 10 a.m. – noon. Mr. Will and the band will perform a FREE show just for kids! Cherrywood Coffeehouse, 1400 E. 38 1/2 Street, Austin.
- Boomerang’s 9th Annual Australia Day – Sunday, January 25, from 12-6 p.m. The entire family can enjoy a day of fun with a bouncy castle, crafts for the kids, food and beer specials, live entertainment, a cricket game, a pie eating contest and more. Donate to Meals on Wheels and More to get a FREE sausage roll. Kids eat FREE with adult purchase. FREE admission! Austin Blacks Rugby Club, 6013 Loyola Lane, Austin.
- Family Day at Mexic-Arte Museum – Sunday, January 25, from 1-4 p.m. Join Mexic-Arte Museum for Family Day! In conjuction with the opening weekend of Selections from the Contemporary Art Collection, Artist Claudia Aparicio-Gamundi will lead guests in a zine-making workshop. A zine is a self-published and self-circulated magazine, normally containing images and writings. Claudia Aparicio-Gamundi is an accomplished artist, designer, and co-founder of the Puro Chingon Collective, whose self-published Chingozine has received city-wide acclaim. FREE! Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Octavitas – Sunday, January 25, from 2-5 p.m. Los Reyes Magos (The Three Kings) are coming to Austin to celebrate Octavitas. Come sing aguinaldos one last time and enjoy Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance performances! Bring the kids, the Reyes always bring gifts! FREE; donations welcome. Entrance is in the back of the building, steps away from free parking. Puerto Rican Folkloric Dance & Cultural Center, 701 Tillery Street, in Austin.
Bonus nearly free events:
- Kidgits Music Mania (Cedar Park) – Saturday, January 24, from 12-2 p.m. Austin area kids are invited to jam on over to Lakeline Mall for Simon Kidgits Club’s “Music Mania”. Keep warm and join in the fun as Simon Kidgits members move, groove, and learn about different genres of music. All mini-musicians in attendance will receive a free toy instrument, while supplies last. FREE With an annual $5/child membership fee. Lakeline Mall, 11200 Lakeline Mall Drive, Cedar Park.
- SoundSpace: Free Music & Community – Sunday, January 25, from 2-4 p.m. In anticipation of the exhibition “Witness: Art and Civil Rights in the Sixties,” the Blanton Museum of Art presents SoundSpace: Free Music and Community. Featuring simultaneous music and dance performances throughout the Blanton’s galleries, January’s SoundSpace is inspired by groups of improvisers who, beginning in the 1960s, connected with their local communities through performance, art, education, and outreach. This event is FREE with museum admission. Museum admission is always FREE for members and UT students, faculty, and staff and FREE for kids 12 and under. Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Junior Blvd., Austin.
Plus one event for teens and adults:
- Fun Fit Dance Fest – Saturday, January 24, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Recharge your batteries with local and national dance fitness instructors as they lead a day of FREE fitness activities for the community. Local DJs, artists and businesses will join the celebration. This event is for age 13 and up. Tiempo Dance Studio, 2311 South Congress Avenue, Austin.
You may also be interested in:
- Free Date Nights in Austin
- Dog Friendly Fun in Austin
- Free Rodeo Rumble Kids 1K Fun Run
- … and more on our Free Fun Calendar!
Please enter our giveaways: