- The Robot Zoo – Saturday, January 17, from 10 a.m. – noon. Visit The Robot Zoo exhibit at the Austin Nature and Science Center to learn about simple machines and robots! Observe a robotics team in action, make robotic art with marker bots, create a simple solar machine, and turn your parent into a robot! Free Fun in Austin will be there – we hope you’ll join us! FREE! Austin Nature & Science Center, 2389 Stratford Dr., Austin.
- Pokemon Saturday Morning Breakfast Club – Saturday, January 17, from 10:30 a.m. – noon. Come hang out with Pokemon fans, trade cards, battle on your DS, talk and swap tips! FREE! This is open to all ages. Bring your own breakfast. Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Tribe Comics and Games, 3005 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Grand Opening of Mary’s Cafe and Pop Shop – Saturday, January 17 from 12-5 p.m. Mary’s Cafe and Pop Shop is open and ready to celebrate with FREE gelato, face painting, FREE balloons and fun! Enjoy discounts on Belgian Sugar Waffles, espresso drinks and more! Mary’s Cafe and Pop Shop, 3209 Red River St, Austin.
- Frozen Photo Opps at Rocket Fizz – Saturday, January 17, from 12-5 p.m. Visit with Elsa and Anna at this fun candy store in The Domain! FREE! Rocket Fizz, The Domain, 3220 Feathergrass Ct., Suite 120, Austin.
- Commemorative Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Walk & Celebration (Round Rock) – Saturday, January 17 at 1 p.m. Join the 28th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday celebration in Round Rock. The commemorative walk begins at CD Fulkes Middle School (300 West Anderson Avenue). Parade participants and marchers, led by a drumline from Round Rock ISD, will assemble at 1 p.m. and begin the march promptly at 1:30 p.m. The march will last approximately 15 minutes and will be followed by a program at the Allen R Baca Center for Community Activities (301 West Bagdad Avenue). A reception will follow the program, at approximately 3:15 p.m. The public is invited to participate by attending the walk, bringing non-perishable food for donation, bringing banners, and attending the program. Attendance is FREE and all are welcome.
- Whole Foods Market Domain 1st Birthday Celebration – Sunday, January 18, from 12-3 p.m. Enjoy face painting, kids crafts, live music and sampling throughout the store. FREE! Whole Foods Market, 11920 Domain Drive, Austin.
- Cafe Ruckus Anniversary Party – Sunday, January 18, from 12-4 p.m. Celebrate the cafe’s one-year anniversary with FREE samples, live music, latte art demonstrations and raffles! Plus, donate a gently used book to benefit BookSpring and receive a coffee, espresso drink, tea, or hot chocolate of your choice. Cafe Ruckus, 409 W 2nd St, Austin.
- MLK March & Festival – Monday, January 19, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. The Annual Community March celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy while uplifting diversity and multi-culturalism in our city. The MLK Community March kicks off on Monday at 9 a.m. with a short program at the MLK Statue on the University of Texas campus. Then, participants are invited to march on to the historic Huston-Tillotson University, where exciting activities are planned. NOTE: The MLK March will not go to the Capitol this year, due to preparations for the Gubernatorial Inauguration. March Begins at MLK Statue on UT Campus, East Mall, Austin.
- Free Admission to LBJ Presidential Library – Monday, January 19, from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Enjoy FREE admission for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Parking for the LBJ Presidential Library is always FREE in the designated parking lot 38. Lot 38 features an entrance flanked by brightly colored LBJ Library banners. To read about Leigh Ann’s visit to the LBJ Presidential Library, click here. LBJ Library and Museum, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
- Snow Day at Highland Park Baptist Church – Monday, January 19, from 2-4 p.m. Let it Snow! Enjoy a snow slide, hot chocolate and wintery fun. FREE! Highland Park Baptist Church, 5206 Balcones Dr, Austin.
Bonus nearly free event:
- Afternoon in the Garden: Forts and Faerie Homes – Sunday, January 18, from 1-4 p.m. Create a hidden space in the Garden using natural materials. Learn about structure and construction. This family activity is FREE with Garden admission ($1 – $3). Zilker Botanical Garden, 2220 Barton Springs Road, Austin.
You may also be interested in: