If you’re on the hunt for free weekend fun in Austin, we’ve got you covered! Here are our top 10 picks for getting out and enjoying the last few days of February!
Free fun in Austin this weekend:
- ABC (A Big Consignment) Sale – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and 6-8:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon and 12:30-3:30 p.m. The ABC Sale is one of the largest sales of gently used clothing for clothing (sizes newborn to 14), toys, furniture, books, strollers, and other baby gear, plus designer handbags. You’ll find high quality items at low prices. Half price sale begins at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday. Proceeds from this sale benefit Austin Oaks Church’s MOPS chapter. Admission is FREE! Austin Oaks Church, 4220 Monterey Oaks Blvd, Austin.
- Frame That Toon: An Art Show Celebrating Cartoons & Animation – Friday from 7-10:00 p.m. Guzu Gallery asked over 25 artists to create artwork celebrating their favorite cartoon characters, past and present. What this amounts to is over 30 brand new art pieces on display for your viewing pleasure. The opening reception will feature a live musical performance and complimentary beverages provided by South Austin Brewery. Admission is FREE and all ages are welcome. Guzu Gallery, 5000 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Hooked on Mueller – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. Texas Parks and Wildlife is stocking Mueller Lake Park with 2,300 rainbow trout fish. Aside from fishing, TPWD will be on hand with demonstrations and educational stations. Live music will be provided by The Rust Tones. Additional activities, giveaways, snacks, and coffee will be sponsored by Mueller businesses. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Outdoor Kids 2016 – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Parents, teachers, children, and the entire community are invited to experience a day of nature-focused activities. This event will provide opportunities to register your children for summer camps, discover local outdoor opportunities, and hear about multiple organizations that are willing to help get kids outside for little to no cost. Activities will include: free rock climbing, archery, and outdoor activities; El Ranchito camping tent tour and summer camp registration; nature opportunities; outdoor Zumba; reptiles; books for kids; prizes, and more. FREE! El Buen Samaritano, 7000 Woodhue Dr, Austin.
- Nature in Motion Family Science Day – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. 4-H CAPITAL and the Austin Nature and Science Center are hosting this family science day filled with hands-on exploration of motion and nature for all ages. Activities include: solar cars, wind turbines, watersheds, vermicomposting, irrigation challenge, fish locomotion, robots, citizen science, and more. FREE! Austin Nature and Science Center, 2389 Stratford Dr, Austin.
- Dr. Seuss’s Birthday Celebration – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday with stories every hour, crafts, and other exciting activities. FREE! Lakeshore Learning, 9828 Great Hills Trail, Austin.
- Kite Workshop – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Fly on by and learn how to make a kite for the annual Zilker Kite Festival while enjoying vibrant live music in the park. Children will have the opportunity to make multiple kites and then fly them in the park. Materials and instruction will be provided courtesy of Communities in Schools and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. FREE for all ages. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
- 17th Annual African American Community Heritage Festival – Saturday from 1-5:00 p.m. With a purposeful objective to raise scholarship funds for Huston-Tillotson University, Texas’ oldest Historical Black College, AACHF offers a family-friendly extravaganza filled with games and vendors featuring: a Kid’s Zone with bounce houses; safety demonstrations; arts and crafts; home décor, books, clothing, and jewelry for sale; storytelling; health, vision, and dental screenings; insurance outreach; dancing; prize giveaways; and a live entertainment mix to satisfy varying musical tastes. Admission is FREE! Huston Tillotson University, 900 Chicon St, Austin.
- Austin Summer Camp Fair – Sunday from 1-5:00 p.m. Finding the right camp for your kids just got easier. Meet 60 camps for kids of all ages with locations from Georgetown to New Braunfels and even as far as Toronto. Raffles for free camps and more. There’s something for everyone, including STEM, art, theater, sports, creative writing, robotics, and much more. Over 30 weeks worth of camps will be given away, plus swag bags, a LEGO Fun Building event and other surprises. Admission is FREE! Norris Conference Center, 2525 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Community Art Sunday: Be Heard – Sunday from 2-5:00 p.m. Join Creative Action and “Be Heard” for this month’s event celebrating music and the rhythm of life. Activities and workshops include an early childhood music and dance class, rhythm instrument workshops, artful instrument making, a chance to sing big with People’s Choir, Capoeira workshops, performances by up-and-coming youth singers, AllRhythms, and Brazilian Trio, Grupo Massa, and other special interactive projects for the whole family. FREE! Center for Creative Action, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg B, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Free Family Friendly Dance Party (Cedar Park) – Saturday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Help Kiddie Academy celebrate their Grand Opening in Cedar park with a fun, family-friendly dance-off event! There will be a DJ and choreographer teaching different dances for all ages, a petting zoo, stilt walker, face painter, balloon artist, refreshments, and more! This event is FREE and open to everyone—so bring a friend or two! Please RSVP. Kiddie Academy of Cedar Park, 1602 Medical Parkway, Cedar Park.
- Stephanie Myers’ 5th Annual Classic Car & Vintage Plane Show (Georgetown) – Saturday from 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Vintage war planes as well as classic, new, and exotic cars will be on display. For a fee, participants can ride in a B-25 airplane. Proceeds from the fifth annual event benefit local veterans through HelpOurWounded.org. Spectator admission is FREE! Georgetown Municipal Airport, 500 Terminal Dr, Georgetown.