Are you ready for another beautiful Austin weekend full of free fun? With this list, you will be! We’ve got 10 perfect picks for the whole family, so let’s get started.
Weekend Top 10 Free Events in Austin:
- Storybook Dance Making: Cockatoo, Too − Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Dance with your family, play games, and enjoy a reading of Cockatoo, Too. Storybook Dance Making classes include a warmup, check in activity, game, storybook reading, dance making activity. Best for families with children ages 3-6. RSVP is requested. FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Rd, Austin.
- Dream A Little Dream Storytime − Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Let your imagination run wild and you can have the most interesting, magical adventures of all. Maybe dancing pink elephants or the ability to fly–you never know what your dreams will bring. Listen to a reading of the lovely If I Had a Little Dream and other books about dreams, wishes, and imagination. FREE! Book People, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Eat! A Feast in Four Courses − Saturday from Noon to 3:00 p.m. Create a legacy for your children or someone you love with your family’s recipes. The library will provide supplies to make a legacy recipe box to house your favorites. Refreshments served. FREE! APL – University Hills Branch, 4721 Loyola Ln, Austin.
- Black History Month Kid Day − Saturday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. This family event will feature crafts, stories, and activities meant to introduce kids and families to the importance of Black History Month. Activities will include African drumming, crafts, Soul Collages Workshop for Youth, and Chocolate Me! storytime. RSVP is requested. FREE! George Washington Carver Museum, Cultural, and Genealogy Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Celebrate Urban Birds − Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. There will be fun family birding activities as well as bird counts at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. At 2:00, listen to “The Birdchasers,” a lecture on the history of birdwatching in Austin. FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
- Liberty, Equality, and Fireworks! − Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Pollyana Theatre Company presents this powerful production that takes a new generation of theatre goers into the world of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s. Set in a history museum, the play’s characters (a group of 4th grade students) experience key elements of the Civil Rights Movement when iconic images from this important period of our national history come to life and begin to move and speak. The play is intended for students in grades 3-7 and their families. FREE! LBJ Presidential Library Auditorium, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
- Engineering Day at Thinkery − Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. In celebration of National Engineers Week, families are invited to explore engineering through special programming. Engineering professionals and students will lead engaging, hands-on activities around the museum—paper towers, cotton ball catapults and puff mobiles, to name a few. Children under the age of 18 will receive FREE admission. Admission will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note, Non-Member Adult admission is $10. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Love Yo Bike − Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Do your part to grow the love for cycling in Austin. There will be fix-a-flat demos, raffles, general bike assistance, and a social ride for all ages (with a park stop!). Plus, live music, yoga, a postcard party, and an imagination station for the kids. FREE! HOPE Farmers Market, 412 Comal St, Austin.
- Community Art Sunday: Confident Leaders − Sunday from 2-5:00 p.m. Keep up your spirits and creative resilience at Community Art Sunday. It’s more important than ever to be confident leaders who can create and share positive power and put community and compassion first. Come on out and learn strategies for taking action in tough situations; complete challenges and games that require creativity and teamwork; create a collaborative poem; learn about diverse leaders in our history; enjoy free snacks, and more. This event is family fantastic and FREE! Center for Creative Action, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg B, Austin.
- Free Admission to The LBJ Presidential Library – Monday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish for the library to “be available to all,” entrance fees are waived on several days during the year, including Presidents Day. FREE! LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
More Events Beyond Austin:
- Anti-Valentine’s Party for Teens (Round Rock) − Saturday at 1:00 p.m. Love stinks. Teens are invited to un-celebrate Valentine’s Day with pizza and half-price candy that no-one bought for you. Fun activities will include: blind date with a book; anti-Valentine Mad Libs; board games; and a book first lines quiz. Teens are encouraged to wear black and/or purple. Want more fun? Stay for a Recycled Black Rose Craft at 2:00 p.m. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E Main St, Round Rock.