- Planet Music: American Swing – Friday, August 8 at 7 p.m. This month’s Planet Music event will feature live music by Aunt Ruby’s Sweet Jazz Babies and a dance lesson by Samantha Garfield and Alex Gaw. Beginner dance lesson followed by live music, swing dance demos, and more. FREE and family friendly. Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Movies at the Pool: Free Willy – Friday, August 8 at 8 p.m. Bring your whole family to watch a movie under the night sky. Food trucks available from 6-8 p.m. Pool entry is free starting at 8 p.m. (if you arrive early, you will have to pay to enter the pool). Free Willy begins at dusk (around 8:20 p.m.). Rated PG. FREE and open to everyone. El Salido Pool, 11500 El Salido Parkway, Austin.
- Classic Cartoon Community Cinema: Despicable Me 2 – Friday, August 8 at 8:30 p.m. Come be a kid again while enjoying free popcorn, cereal, and cartoons. Be sure to bring blankets, towels, or folding chairs. Seating starts at 8:30 p.m.; showing starts around 9 p.m. Concessions are first come, first served, until they run out. FREE! The Fellowship at Scofield Farms, 12424 Scofield Farms Dr, Austin.
- Zilker Summer Musical: Oklahoma! – Friday, August 8, Saturday, August 9 and Sunday, August 10 at 8:30 p.m. Set in a Western Indian territory just after the turn of the century, this high-spirited rivalry between the local farmers and cowboys provides a colorful backdrop for Oklahoma!, one of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s most cherished collaborations. FREE! The City of Austin charges $5.00 per car for parking in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- 24th Annual Lake Travis Flight – Saturday, August 9 at sunrise. This is an informal Central Texas Ballooning Association event. The public is invited to watch hot air balloons take flight over Lake Travis. Parking is limited and weather determines whether or not the balloons may launch. The balloonists will meet at 6:20 a.m. and inflating will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Arrive early to find a spot to park and watch the balloons take flight at sunrise (approximately 6:53 a.m.). The balloons will fly for about an hour. See a video of this event here. Please note that if weather conditions will not permit safe flight, the launch will be canceled. Call 512-481-2822 for updates. Be prepared for parking to be somewhat disorganized on rocky terrain. Do not park on the launch area (keep grass areas clear). Mansfield Dam Park, 4370 Mansfield Dam Park Rd., Austin.
- Barton Springs Fest – Saturday, August 9, from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Enjoy outdoor adventure, snorkeling tours, hikes, and live music on the south hill. There will also be free watermelon, a diving competition, educational speakers and workshops. While the Fest activities are FREE, events that take place within the gates of the pool require that you pay admission to Barton Springs Pool ($1-$4). Also, $5 will be charged to park in Zilker Park, starting at 8 a.m. on Saturday. Barton Springs Pool, Outside Back Gate and South Hill Area, 2201 Barton Springs Rd., Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Wizard of Oz – Saturday, August 9 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 10 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children presents the live musical theater version of the motion picture The Wizard of Oz. FREE tickets for the play are available at the door 45 minutes before the showtime. Shows will sell out, so be sure to arrive early! Appropriate for all ages. Boyd Vance Theatre, George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Arts Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Flashback Family Night at LBJ Library – Saturday, August 9, from 5 – 11 p.m. Grab a picnic and a lawn chair and come on out to the LBJ Library to enjoy exhibits, live music, and a movie on the lawn: 5 – 7 p.m. – FREE Library admission; tour Sixty from the ’60s exhibit; 7- 8:30 p.m. – Rock to “Rotel and the Hot Tomatoes” on the lawn by the LBJ fountain; 9 p.m. – Sing along with the 1963 classic Bye Bye Birdie. Please, no alcohol or pets. Bring your own blankets and chairs for the movie and music! FREE parking will be available in the LBJ Library visitor parking lot (#38) located at 2313 Red River Street, as well as the parking lots adjacent on either side (lots #37 and 39). The entrance to lot #38 is flanked by Library banners. Overflow parking will be available in nearby garages for a fee of $3 per hour. LBJ Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
- 2014 Texas Football Fan Day – Sunday, August 10 at 9 a.m. UT Athletics invites fans to a 9:30 a.m. open practice at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. This is the first opportunity for fans to get a glimpse of the Longhorns before the season opener vs. North Texas. The stadium opens at 9 a.m. Practice concludes at approximately noon. Following practice, fans are encouraged to head to the Frank Erwin Center for autographs from players and assistant coaches. For complete details and FREE parking information, visit TexasSports.com.
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park – Sunday, August 10 at 7:30 p.m. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center. This week, you can enjoy music from the Brass ensemble. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Music on the Square Summer Concerts (Georgetown) – Friday, August 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. This summer, enjoy live music on the Courthouse Square each Friday night. Pick up dinner at a downtown restaurant or bring your own picnic (no glass please). This week, enjoy Not Past 11 Jazz Band. FREE! Courthouse Square, Georgetown.
- Music in the Park (Pflugerville) – Friday, August 8 at 7:30 p.m. Cienfuegos performs a diverse array of Latin genres with a focus on traditional Cuban styles such as Son, Bolero, Guajira, and Cha-Cha. The energetic sounds of exciting salsa will have you up off your feet, dancing to their original compositions and traditional Latin standards. Food will be available for purchase beginning at 6:30 p.m. and the music starts at 7:30 p.m. Pfamily, pfriends, and pfurry pets welcome. Bring lawn chairs, blankets, and cash for food — or enjoy your own picnic. There’s even a playground on site for the kids. FREE! Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Rd, Pflugerville.
- Champions Day at Hawaiian Falls (Pflugerville) – Saturday, August 9 at 8:30 a.m. “Champions” – special needs individuals of any age – can visit the water park for free! Family members can purchase discounted tickets for $5 each, using the Champions Day coupon found here. The coupon must be redeemed between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m., but Champions Day guests are welcome to remain in the park for the rest of the day. Hawaiian Falls Pflugerville, 18500 N SH 130 Svrd SB, Pflugerville.
- Texas Sales Tax Holiday – Friday, August 8 – Sunday, August 10. Shoppers can save money on certain items priced under $100 during the state’s annual sales tax holiday. The law exempts most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced under $100 from sales tax, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend during the weekend.
- MamaCents Children’s Consignment Sale – Friday, August 8 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, August 9, from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Clothing, gear, furniture, maternity, books and educational supplies, and an amazing boutique area. Why shop retail when you can get the same things for 50-90% less? Admission is FREE! Frank Fickett Center, 12500 N IH 35, Austin.
For more events happening around town this weekend, be sure to check out our Free Fun Calendar!