- Alamo Kids Camp – Friday, August 1, Saturday, August 2 and Sunday, August 3. See An American Tail at Alamo Drafthouse Village (2700 West Anderson Ln, Austin), Babe at Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter (5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin) or Rango at Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline — only on Friday and Sunday (14028 N US Hwy 183, Bldg F, Austin). Verify showtimes before heading out as they frequently change. All Alamo Kids Camp screenings are FREE! Tickets are available at the box office on the day of the show, and seating is first come, first served. No children under the age of 3 will be admitted. Families with loud children will be asked to leave.
- 4th Annual Texas Robot Roundup – Friday, August 1 and Saturday, August 2. Forty-two FIRST Robotics Competition teams from all over Texas and beyond are coming together in Austin. Come watch robots compete in the 2014 FIRST Robotics Competition game – Aerial Assist! The 150lb robots will compete in alliances and score by passing and shooting exercise balls over trusses and into goals. Come learn about FIRST and meet the next generation of innovators and engineers. View full event schedule here. FREE to spectators! Austin Convention Center, Exhibit Hall 5, 500 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin.
- Zilker Summer Musical: Oklahoma! – Friday, August 1, Saturday, August 2, and Sunday, August 3 at 8:30 p.m. Set in a Western Indian territory just after the turn of the century, this high-spirited rivalry between the local farmers and cowboys provides a colorful backdrop for Oklahoma!, one of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s most cherished collaborations. Read what to know before you go. FREE! The City of Austin charges $5.00 per car for parking in Zilker Park. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Make a Pencil Holder at The Home Depot – Saturday, August 2, from 9 a.m. – noon. The Home Depot invites kids to get ready for school by making a mini-crate pencil holder. Stop by your local Home Depot for this FREE, hands-on workshop. Designed for kids ages 5 to 12, these workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills, tool safety and instill a sense of pride and accomplishment. All kids get to keep their craft and receive a free certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin.
- Back to School Clothing Swap – Saturday, August 2, from 9 a.m. – noon. Get some new-to-you back to school clothing. Donate what you can and take what you need! Crestview United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 1300 Morrow St, Austin.
- Austin Amazing Pet Expo – Saturday, August 2, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Bring your pet to the 2014 Austin Amazing Pet Expo! You’re welcome to bring your dog or your bird or even your lizard – just make sure that you have proof of current age-appropriate immunizations (if applicable) and that your canine companion is on a non-retractable lead. Check out a special appearance by Shorty Rossi (and his pit bull, Hercules), star of Pit Boss on Animal Planet, visit with 165+ pet-friendly exhibitors and rescue groups, see live demonstrations in agility, obedience training, pet care, and activism, enjoy great giveaways, a talent contest and costume contest, and much more fun for the whole family. If you’re looking to add a new pet to your family, a mega-adoption event sponsored by Banfield Pet Hospitals will have more than 300 pets available for adoption. Admission is FREE. Download a program here. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- 1960s Day at Bullock Museum – Sunday, August 3 at noon. Enjoy FREE exhibit admission from 12 – 6 p.m. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibits that showcase artifacts from around the state. Special family programs from 12 – 3 p.m. combine art creation, presentations by partner organizations, and gallery activities. This Sunday, travel backward to the 1960s and explore this wild decade with fun for families. Kids will make their own wearable 1960s art, explore 1968 with exhibit guides just for them, and much more. Hippie attire encouraged! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Family Day at UMLAUF – Sunday, August 3, from noon – 4 p.m. First Sundays offer a special, hands-on program designed for families with children, four to 15 years old. Families have the opportunity to explore the Umlauf collection and exhibitions in the garden and museum while engaging in creative activities. Family First Sundays feature Story Time with BookPeople (1 p.m.), Sculpture Demonstrations by representatives from Texas Society of Sculptors, Sculpture Scavenger Hunts and more! FREE and open to the public! 605 Robert E. Lee Road, Austin.
- In.gredients 2nd Anniversary Party – Sunday, August 3, from 6 – 10 p.m. Celebrate in.gredients’ anniversary with live music, vendor samples, and fun activities, including live screen printing (bring your own shirt/bag, or grab one at the event), Tiny Tails to You Austin’s Traveling Petting Zoo (6-7 p.m.), face painting and arts & crafts for kids, lawn games, and more! FREE! In.gredients, 2610 Manor Road, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park – Sunday, August 3 at 7:30 p.m. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center. This week, you can enjoy music from the Strings ensemble. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
Bonus nearly free events:
- Summer Saturdays: Family Fun at the French Legation Museum – Saturday, August 2. Tour times are 1:15, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 pm. Join us for family fun with outdoor activities when you come in for a guided tour of the historic house and detached kitchen. Tours of the historic house and detached kitchen are $5 per person; children ages 5 and under FREE. This Saturday, kids will build a kite and see how high it goes! French Legation Museum, 802 San Marcos Street, Austin.
- Movie Night at Deep Eddy Pool: Despicable Me 2 – Saturday, August 2 at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.). Come enjoy the final movie night this summer! Watch Despicable Me 2 at Deep Eddy Pool with your floats and favorite beach towel! FREE with pool admission. Admission: FREE Infant (under 12 months); $1.00 – Child 1 to 11 years; $2.00 – Junior 12 to 17 years; $3.00 – Adult 18 to 61 years; $1.00 – Senior 62 years+ (All fees are $1 more for non-residents). Deep Eddy Pool, 401 Deep Eddy Ave., Austin.
For more family-friendly events happening around town, be sure to check out our Free Fun Calendar!
You may also be interested in:
You may also be interested in: