Thanks to KXAN for sharing our top picks for free weekday fun:
- River City Pops Noon Concert – Thursday, October 23 at Noon. Enjoy a fun filled 30-minute performance from River City Pops, Austin’s favorite show choir. They’ll be singing selections from their upcoming Cabaret show. You’ll smile and bop in your seat to some current hits, great oldies, and broadway tunes, of course. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Hancock Rec Center Fall Festival – Thursday, October 23 from 5-7:00 p.m. Enjoy carnival games, face painting, bounce house, music, and prizes. All ages welcome. FREE admission. Hancock Rec Center, 811 E 41st St, Austin.
- Halloween Festival and Movie in the Park (Georgetown) – Thursday, October 23 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Little ones can enjoy a friendly hay ride through the park, a carnival, and a Trick-or-Treat Village with local businesses and non-profit organizations passing out candy. Trick-or-treat bags will be provided, or bring your own. Don’t forget to wear your favorite costume and enter the Costume Contest. ParaNorman (Rated PG) will begin at 6:45 p.m. at the Gazebo. Bring your own refreshments. Admission is FREE, but fees are required for hay rides and carnival games. San Gabriel Park, 445 E Morrow St, Georgetown.
- Spooktacular at the Bullock – Friday, October 24 from 5-8:00 p.m. Discover the spooky side of Texas at this family-friendly Halloween extravaganza, featuring performances, games, interactive activities, art, and more for kids ages five and up. Come in costume for a special prize, and enjoy a fun-filled night at the museum. Interactive activities will be provided by Austin Reptile Shows, Mad Science, and Girlstart. Explore three floors of Museum exhibits and uncover the mysteries of Texas, from shipwreck to a trail rides. Tiny Texans can enjoy Spooky Story Time throughout the evening. Plus, decorate your own treat bag, take a Halloween picture with your family in a photo booth, visit with roving magicians, and much more. Check out the event schedule here. FREE! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Ave, Austin.
- LeVar Burton Speaking & Signing – Friday, October 24 at 6:30 p.m. LeVar Burton, an icon of reading for generations of book lovers, will share his new picture book, The Rhino Who Swallowed a Storm. The speaking portion of this event is FREE and open to the public. Burton will read the book, take questions, and then sign books. Tickets are required for the signing and are only available with the purchase of a copy of the book from BookPeople. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
For more free fun happening around town this week, check out What’s Up? Weekly!