Thanks to KXAN for sharing our picks for Austin’s top free weekday events!
- Sound and Cinema: E.T. – Tuesday, July 22 at 7:30 p.m. Rescheduled after last week’s rain. Henry + The Invisibles will perform a tribute to E.T., followed by the film screening on The Alamo’s giant inflatable outdoor screen. Folding chairs and blankets are encouraged. Picnics are allowed, but no outside alcohol may be brought onto the Long Center grounds. The food trailers will be open by 6 p.m. and the sunset concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. The movie will immediately follow (after dark). Rated PG. FREE! The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Rhythm on Stage: West African – Tuesday, July 22 at 7:00 p.m. This is your last chance this summer to enjoy free dance lessons on the Meredith Family Stage in Dell Hall! Learn West African dance with Jean Claude Lessou of the Ballet Austin’s Butler Community School. FREE but RSVP is requested here. The Long Center, 701 W Riverside Dr, Austin.
- Children’s Day Art Park: Beto y Los Fairlanes – Wednesday, July 23 at 9:30 a.m. One thing Austin families can count on every summer is live music and fun galore at the weekly Children’s Day Art Park. From interaction with members of The Austin Symphony, who wander the crowds performing for children, to onstage jams by some of Austin’s most beloved children’s entertainers, it doesn’t get much better than these festive Wednesday mornings in the Symphony Square amphitheater. Don’t forget to bring your teddies this week for the Annual Teddy Bear Picnic. 50¢ per child. Adults are FREE. Symphony Square, 1101 Red River St, Austin.
- Zilker Zumbathon Zelebration – Thursday, July 24 at 10:00 a.m. July is Parks & Recreation Month, and this year’s theme is ‘Out is In.’ Get outside, change your outlook, and get involved in your community through parks and recreation. Enjoy a group Zumba class and giveaways from Univision 62. All ages are welcome. FREE! Zilker Park Rugby Field, 2100 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Nature Nights: Birds of Prey – Thursday, July 24 from 5-8:00 p.m. Fly high with birds of prey at the final Nature Night of the summer. The Blackland Prairie Raptor Center will give a live bird presentation on the Play Lawn of the new Luci and Ian Family Garden. Explore feathers and raptor flight with Earth Native Wilderness School. Go big bird birding with Travis Audubon on garden habitat hikes. Tish Corvidae, Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Avian Director, will bring her Eurasion Eagle Owl and a surprise bird. Dissect and examine owl pellets and take part in other birdy activities. Thanks to H-E-B, admission will be free all day, starting at 9 a.m. FREE! Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin.
For even more free weekday fun, check out What’s Up? Weekly!